How To Find a local Job with No Experience??

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RedTheTrucker, Aug 12, 2015.

1. RedTheTrucker

RedTheTrucker Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Hello guys its been a week since i graduated cdl school and I have all ready been offered a job at $18 Hour with a local Milk delivery company driving class b trucks (I Have my Class A) I start tommorow morning. .

For all the people asking if its possible to find a local job with no experince its possible you just have to put in some work ..

The last week i been driving around town writing down the names of all the day cab trucks I road past

I then found out these companies contact information and office location and either called or just showed up with a simple resume and told them im looking for a class a or b driving position and was straight forward about being straight outta cdl school no experience

I even went to cdl staffing agency where i was told that i would need at least a year experience and no one would hire me local I would need to go otr blah blah guy was an ###

I also posted an ad in the resume section of craigslist in my area and got 3 offers they where all a little to far from me but where great opportunities

If you want a local job without experience go out there and get it dont just call or put an application in online go down to the company and tell em you want to work for them (they love this kind of iniative) bring a resume with you bring a copy of your driving abstract cdl & medical card.. You dont need to be in a suit in tie or all dressed up either im 22 with alot of tattoos two full sleeves with earings in my ears i went down to every company in jeans sneakers and plain black t shirt and alot of these companies called back or were very interested in me working for them. .( ill probably be hearing back from them next few days)

Point what im trying to make is dont let no one tell you you can't find a local job with no experience there is so much need for truck drivers otr and local their basically begging for people to work for them.

77smartin and antoinefinch Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fastlanedanny

fastlanedanny Light Load Member

May 21, 2013
    East Coast
    It's easier for some to get a local job driving especially if you live in the northern states. Way too many cdl holders in the south and many from the north relocate for great weather and light loads but not vice versa! Congratulations on your new job btw. A little initiative can help you achieve your goal. Keep in mind that $720 a week is not a lot of money if you have a cdl a. But you will be using class b equipment plus you're home nightly so you get paid less at most trans.companies. Ot may put you over the top if you work past 8 hrs! Most of the megacarriers won't give you home daily. Homeweekly is probably the best option imo. You get to travel to different places and get experience that can make you a lot more money. Are you sure you wanna settle for class b driving. It gets greater later.

RedTheTrucker Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    His wife is pregnant with their first child, so he needs to be home daily for the time being.

RedTheTrucker Thanks this.
  5. RedTheTrucker

RedTheTrucker Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Yeah im fine driving just class b for now like Chinatown said my wife is pregnant so i need to be home and my job is allowing so much overtime talked to one of the drivers when i went down to apply and he just got his cdl too he managed to pull in $1700 2 weeks 104 hours $850 week i dont even know any otr company that can offer that coming straight outta cdl school even if they can its jus less headache for a little less pay

icsheeple, Chinatown and fastlanedanny Thank this.
  6. fastlanedanny

fastlanedanny Light Load Member

May 21, 2013
    East Coast
    There are too many opportunities out there in trucking! But family does come first. That would've been mighty greedy of you to take an otr job making maybe a couple hundred more at best for a New guy and your wife is pregnant. The Lord puts his children where he wants them to serve Him. Stay blessed!

7. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    As time goes by, some of this stuff is beginning to become more acceptable. Couple that with the "driver shortage", and the new generation (no, I'm obviously not talking about you) of "gamers", lazy areses, and spoiled rotten brats...and you have an extremely good chance of finding work when you do exactly what you did---SHOW the perspective employer that you are there for a job.

I'm still a little old fashioned, and cover my two small tattoo's (one on each fore-arm) with a nice long sleeve shirt....but I leave my one and only small hoop earring in.
    I don't know if I'm prejudice or not (and I don't care), but I personally would not hire anyone dumb enough to put a ball in their tongue, or those ridiculous gauge plugs in their ear lobes. You guys look and sound stupid to me.

Congrats on the $18.00 an hour job straight out of school...that's good stuff!
    It doesn't matter that it is Class B. You would have had to go with a trainer had you gone OTR...and you still will if you ever decide to go Class A OTR...for the time being, you are an ACTIVE CDL holder and user...that means something to everyone.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.