How to handle leaving a company and starting my own?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by speedstickman, Aug 14, 2015.

1. speedstickman

speedstickman Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2012
    So I've been working for a carrier for the past 4 years (soon to be 5), and I think I am ready to jump ship and start my own business.

I've worked as a dispatcher for 1 year, and been in charge of booking loads for the past 3.
    I've built some contacts (brokers, drivers), gotten experience, and to be completely honest, a bit jaded I'm making all this money for the company and not getting any commission in return (I'm working on straight salary)

I'm looking into starting my own freight brokerage, as it seems like this would be the way to go due to low start up costs and overall low overhead (home office anybody?) but I'm not sure how to handle leaving this job, as I would like to do business with this company as a carrier partner.

I have some contacts that provide me with loads every week, and I'm thinking that at least some of them would come along with me.
    I could then just get the same loads, and broker them to this carrier for a profit, to get things rolling... (and grow from then on)

What would be the best way to handle this situation? I feel like if I quit and tell my boss I've been starting my own thing on the side, he would feel betrayed and not wanna do business with me.

Is this a terrible idea? Am I way over my head ? Anybody been in a similar situation?

Also...if possible, I am looking to partner up with somebody that has some good contacts (shippers and carriers).
    I specialize in freight coming in/out of Southern California (dry and reefer loads)

Any feedback would be welcome.

Thank you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    CK. back to when you started working for them if you sign any papers with their co. name on them you may have signed a non comp. so you cant take co. customers with you when you leave?

4. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
  5. speedstickman

Jul 10, 2012
    The only thing I remember signing is an employment application...I am not quite sure if it had a non comp clause. I don't recall signing any type of employee packet, but it's been so long I might be wrong. Is there any way to find out without raising suspicions? lol

6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Thats what every business owner is afraid off, hire somebody, teach them everything, then they leave and take customers with them. When I'll be hiring office staff, I'll try to hire nice older ladies, them being young enough to deal with everyday things, but too old to leave and start their own business:D
    But cant blame you, young man. Wish you luck

7. speedstickman

Jul 10, 2012
    I don't wanna screw anybody up. The company has been good to me, and like I said, I'd like to keep the relationship going. But yeah, I don't wanna work under somebody else and keep making them money for the rest of my life. I'm in serious need of good advice.

8. str8t10

str8t10 Medium Load Member

Apr 25, 2015
    Rochester,ny
    So basically you are going to steal his freight and try and sell the loads back to him. I'm sure that'll go over really well. I were you and you say you're doing such a stellar job. Spread a few rumors someone else wants to hire you on salary and a percentage of brokered loads. Or straight up ask or tell them you that you want a piece of the action or.... fill in the blank

Canned Spam, Lite bug and jbatmick Thank this.
  9. lots of character

lots of character Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2015
    But oh sooooo good.

10. machinegunner_240

machinegunner_240 Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2015
    That was going to be my response. You beat me to it! I know Landstar has those agreements. Try to take their business and they can sue you.

11. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Catch 22 hand and it won't end well with the boss. You're getting good answers. You may get a "good luck" and a handshake heading out but if you approach his customers he will know and be pissed. What he does about it is another story.

Leave if you want, startup if you want but don't approach his customers. The must come to you on their own. These are his contacts and customers and ethically off limits to you. Forget any relationship you might have with him too. It's over if you take a customer, any customer and they find out....and they will find out.

Being said, trucking is a nasty business. Very little honor. Dispatchers and drivers are put out with the trash everyday. What you're proposing happens more often then you think, hence the CNC agreements. Shame on him for not having you sign one.

IMO its a spongy foundation to build a business on, good luck.

JMO

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.