How would you install CB in car? Location, mounting suggestions, please.

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by barrier12, Oct 30, 2015.

1. barrier12

barrier12 Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2009
    USA
    Due to the lack of space to install CB unit in the car wherever and however I want it I am considering placing it on dashboard. What would be your suggestions? Do I use screws(what kind, regular or with spreading ends?), Velcro(I do not want radio flying through the windshield though) or just use regular mounting bracket?

Any experience, ideas?

Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jerry12

Jerry12 Heavy Load Member

Sep 9, 2014
    install CB...never happen; However, the True Truckers, like in the movie convoy...don't they secure them to the inside ceiling...allowing it all to hang down for quick & easy access. (ahem...Breaker, Breaker)

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    If I were to put one in my pickup I'd either mount it on the floor above the transmission or hang it under the dash.

5. Neverready

Neverready Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Pocomoke City, Md.
    Depends on the vehicle, on my Equinox I flipped up the console armrest and found a radio that would fit underneath so when my wife gets in the car she is not bothered by it with the arm rest down. If you trade vehicles on a regular basis you may not want to drill a lot of obvious holes. On my pickup since it has a open floor area between the driver and passenger area I took a wide board and screwed another board along one edge to angle it a bit upwards and added metal legs to straddle the transmission hump then mounted the cb and 2meter radios and speakers to the board. One word of caution automotive carpet can be very thin and cheaply made so if you are cutting holes to run power leads or coax under carpet be gentle. ALWAYS look under the area you might drill holes to be sure there are no vital wires, modules or sensors that might be harmed by a drill bit. We had a new ham go out and screw his new radio to the floor of his nearly new car and send the screws thru his wiring harness. Not a pleasent thing to go thru.

rabbiporkchop and Blaskowitz Thank this.
  6. barrier12

Apr 3, 2009
    USA
    Thank you all.

There is no decent room except dash board from my point of view. I do not want it to be too close to seats/airbags/body due to safety reasons and be in somewhat ventilated area so it would not overheat(although sunlight may be a problem)... Size of the radio - medium (Cobra 29).

7. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    What kind of car?

8. barrier12

Apr 3, 2009
    USA
    Midsize(VW Passat).

9. Blaskowitz

Blaskowitz Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2015
    Central South Carolina
    On many newer cars, about the ONLY place to mount a radio is on the passenger side of the console, facing up. As I have gotten too old, fat, and creaky, to do my own mounting anymore, I have paid a pro to do the mounts, drill holes for antennas, etc, on my last two new cars. One trick I picked up from watching him is to slide a thin sheet of tin, aluminum, or like metal behind the console, so that your screws have something to hold on to. Otherwise, the metal screws will eventually strip through the holes in the plastic, making a mess. Of course, this will necessarily involve unbolting the console so that the sheet metal can be slid behind the plastic. This can be a monumental PITA.

Other options might be using swivel and goose neck mounts, mounted to the floor or (again) the passenger side of your console. In my current car, for CB, I have a Cobra 75WX (everything on the mic). Next time, I'll probably go with a "real" radio, but it has served its purpose. Unfortunately, like all Cobras, it has what must be the world's cheapest pots for the volume and squelch, which collect dirt and dust and cause "scratchy" adjustments for those controls with gaps in the continuity of adjustment. That has always been my biggest gripe with Cobra stuff, the cheap pots.

Best of luck in getting this done!

10. barrier12

Apr 3, 2009
    USA
    Thank you. Yes, I thought about enforcement of mounting points, that's why I have mentioned those bolts/nuts with parts, which spread out when you tighten them. Another option may be piece of metal size of half or dollar coin with hole in it.

Blaskowitz Thanks this.
  11. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    The best place to have a radio and safely look at and operate it is on the dash so you don't have to take your eyes completely off the road in front of you. A good quality velcro will hold it in place. If you have an accident where you hit hard enough to break the radio free and it hits the windshield hard enough to break it ......I believe the windshield damage will be the least of your worries.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.