Howdy folks...

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by CodingAtWindmills, Apr 26, 2016.

1. CodingAtWindmills

CodingAtWindmills Bobtail Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I'm heading out for CDL school next week. Got the physical and taking the learner's permit test tomorrow. I drove a bit in the Marine Corps for a while, but ended up working mostly on the logistics side of the house, so I finally get to go back to driving the big ######## again.

I'm also a computer programmer. Took a year taking game development contracts after I got out. That was nice and all, but trying to live on that is a bit tough, so I'd rather take all that experience and put it toward something else.... After a year or two in the saddle with a company, I wanna jump ship and go O/O. Pretty typical I guess, minus the whole game developer thing.

Straight Stacks Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    So why would you want to be a driver with your education ?

4. CodingAtWindmills

Apr 20, 2016
    Education? The highest degree I have is a high school diploma. :D Everything computer development related is self taught.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    There's some real good companies to choose from for new cdl grads. Where is your city/state? Will you have endorsements?
    Any certain type trucking peak your interests?

6. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Well welcome to the biz then lol....enjoy the newbie driver life ...I been at this 30 or so years and it's to late to turn back now ...kiss your social life goodbye and enjoy living on 400 a week with a dispatcher up your Ying yang eatin fast food and pissin in a bottle ..it's the life !

Mudguppy Thanks this.
  7. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
  8. CodingAtWindmills

Apr 20, 2016
    bzinger Lol, it might be crap, but sometimes crap is better than gold. Embrace the suck right?

Chinatown, OTR for sure. I like being away from home. Lived in a car before the military, wouldn't mind the upgrade. As for endorsements, I don't think I get any out the gate other than class A, but I want to push for a double/triple or maybe something HazMat. I did arms, ammo, and explosives driving when I was in, so I know a little bit there I guess. :)

9. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Well you got the right tude my friend and stick with Chinatown , he's the go to man here !

Puppage Thanks this.
  10. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    All the other endorsements aside from Hazmat are just written tests, pretty easy also. Let @Chinatown know your location, he's the resident S2 on companies!

11. CodingAtWindmills

Apr 20, 2016
    Oh yeah, home on record is around Columbus MS.

Straight Stacks Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.