I imagine the RCI-2950 isnt the best Mobile Radio anymore? - WHAT IS???

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by PeacefulTyrant, Apr 23, 2015.

1. PeacefulTyrant

PeacefulTyrant Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Howdy folks! Im new here, and have been out of haulin pulp wood for quite some time now.
    I hope comin' to a truckers forum when your no longer drivin for a living, isn't like going to a Bikers Rally in a grocery getter, egh? :biggrin_25520:

In any case, my question is this. The last 2-way I owned was an RCI-2950 tricked out.
    It was a 10 meter rig, that we:
    - unlocked to add the CB channels back in
    - unlocked the clarifier so we could "slide a half a KC" between channels
    - had a optional kicker for those way out the area spots where you don't want to be alone with a problem
    - and a Wilson antenna

Im not interested in echo chambers, roger beeps, or any other gimicks ... just wanna ratchet jaw with good clean and crisp Tx as well as Rx on AM as well as SideBand (and FM in the case of the RCI-2950). Yet there are other times where ya just GOTTA Punch Through when I NEED to talk!

Now that you know what Im use to .... what would you suggest I get that would allow me the extra channels (for privacy), yet a good solid chassis (like a lot of the old radios like the - uniden & the presidents, etc ... had).

Ive been out of the game for a while, and considering getting behind a wheel for a bit again. If so, Id like to get a few units, one for the house, one for the big truck, and one for little truck.

Thank You Kindly for your Time and I look forward to Your Advice!

Please advise.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Personally, I'd stick with the RCI.

25(2)+2 and Big_m Thank this.
  4. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    Nothing wrong with the 2950 if u want more punch get the 2970

5. Big_m

Big_m Heavy Load Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Central Maryland
    Or get a 2950 and a KL-203 amp.

6. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I think the RM Italy KL 300 is about the perfect size for normal everyday use. I've had one for years and never had a problem from it. Always run it on low, running just under 2 watts to drive it. It doesn't have the punch of a Texas Star 667V, but it does alright.

7. mntrucker

mntrucker Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Depends on what you want to do. Nothing wrong with the 2950dx, I've never tried the n2 though.

8. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
    Stick with the 2950
    dx you couldn't beat them with a stick

9. delta5

delta5 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Ohio
    What is the "best" radio depends a lot on what you want to do. The ranger 2950 and 70 radios cant be beat for serious sideband work, but they don't sound the best on AM without some serious mods. The new strykers have an awesome am sound right out of the box. The Galaxys sound good with a good alignment, and a good mic. The 98VHP cant hardly be beat for a good trucking radio. Im not big on most of these bs super-tune, super-mod deals. most of them are done by untrained hacks. It all depends on what you want to do with it. Im told by people on the other side of the globe that my stock 2970n2 sounds like a million bucks on sideband...

mike5511 and Big_m Thank this.
  10. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Here is the nicest rig I have found so far:
    http://www.hilberling.de/en/en_pro/pro_pt8000.htm

Made in Germany
    cost about $10000.00

for a mobile, this works nicely after a proper tune
    http://www.survival-systems.com/yeticom/at6666.html

11. Ougigoug

Ougigoug Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Planet earth
    That's a tricky question everyone has his prefered equipment, like everybody i had most in my carrer and i believe RCI2950-70 are still to this day excellent

Not too long ago i was in the market for a radio but since i had RCI in the past, i wanted to try something different my first choice was the "Top gun tech" but i have found a cheap president Lincoln 2V3 and i am honestly surprised by the little radio.

TX & RX is excellent rig is idiot proof perfect for me!!!

Good luck

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.