Idle shutdown bypass

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by indecisivedriver, May 26, 2016.

1. indecisivedriver

indecisivedriver Bobtail Member

May 26, 2016
    Hello so I've tried the whole 9 from only setting the trailer brakes to bumping the cruise to putting things on the pedals everything. The only way to trick this thing is to have it out of its temp. Parameters which is 70 to 20 degrees. Now I've went through a ton of threads and I've only ever seen it on one thread but it was some sensor that makes the outside temp read like 500 degrees I was hoping someone can tell me what this sensor is so I can try it. I'm a company driver so I can't mess with the truck too much so if I can just unplug my sensor which is in my mirror and plug in that dummy sensor to make it so I can idle that I'll do. After I get my experience I'm finding a different company or buying my own truck but if someone can tell me what that sensor is that'd be great thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. indecisivedriver

May 26, 2016
    And if you could tell me where to get it that'd be great too thanks

4. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Assuming your truck has that little nipple thermometer on the bottom side of the mirror right?

Buy a bunch of those hot hands glove warmers on eBay and slap em on the sensor.
    It'll at least keep you from tearing into a company truck.
    Might cost you $1 or $2 a night

indecisivedriver Thanks this.
  5. indecisivedriver

May 26, 2016
    I've done this I just want to swap a sensor every now and then before an inspection

6. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Is your company cool with you swapping out sensors on their truck that are obviously there for a reason?

7. indecisivedriver

May 26, 2016
    Probably not but I'm pretty tired of being woke up at 4 in the morning because the outside temp is 69 and not above 70 like it was the whole night so I'm just going to look at this as a better to ask for forgiveness than permission type of deal

8. Garzaci

Garzaci Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2013
    Good luck with that man. I'm sure if you get caught changing parts on the truck you're getting fired and it will be notated on your DAC.

indecisivedriver Thanks this.
  9. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    my truck will idle whenever i want it too, but i don't idle above 20 or below 85 if your worried about idling cause its 69 outside maybe you should find a different line of work.

i would not mess with the truck, find a different line of work or a company with apu's if its that bad for you. if i ever caught someone messing with sensors on a truck i owned they would be fired. i mean 69 really? i see no reason any truck should need to idle at 69* outside

Goodysnap Thanks this.
  10. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Just have the idle shutdown turned off in the ECM settings. Most sideline ECM tuners can and will do it. If you are already doing things to rack up idle time, not sure anyone would even notice and check that it had been done. If they do, just go into Forrest Gump mode and act dumb about it.

driverdriver Thanks this.
  11. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Because when it's 69 outside it can be 75 in the truck. I've got a espar for winter but when it's on the fritz I'm idling when hits 50
    Can't sleep good when it gets to cold or hot FOR ME.
    This is what nobody seems to get we are all different when it comes to the best temperature for a good night's sleep .
    I think It's absolutely hysterical how people think they're better than the next just because they do things this way or that way and the other person prefers to do it differently.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.