IFTA / IRP daily driver

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Bdog, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I am sure many of you hotshot guys are apportioned and have IFTA. Many also likely use your truck as your primary means of transportation.

I have apportioned plates on my semi and know what all it entails but I only have to keep up with it when hauling loads. My question is how do you keep up with it on a daily driver taking kids to school, running around town, going to stores, etc. Are you using some automated system or manually filling out papers every time you drive the truck even if not hauling/logging ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    All miles are counted, it is about taxing distance within a state, not whether or not it is hauling or deadhead.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  4. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    U take ur kids to schoool on a semi?

5. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I know that. That is the point of my question. I only use my semi when hauling loads and thus I am logging, keeping up with miles loaded or empty. It isnt a big because I only use the semi when hauling and not as a daily driver. I am always logging when driving the semi and it is easy to keep track of miles, etc.

I am considering getting a pickup and towing a tandem dual trailer and putting apportioned plates and IFTA stickers on it. When not hauling I would be using the pickup as my daily driver. I know all the miles have to be reported I was wondering how difficult this is to do or if anyone has a good way of keeping up with it in this scenario.

6. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    No haha. Sorry left that part out of the original post. I am looking at getting a dually and tandem dem dual trailer but the pickup would serve as my daily driver when not hauling thus the reason for my question.

7. Dadetrucking305

Dadetrucking305 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Cibolo,Texas
    Log all miles.Easier that way.

8. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I guess so. My issue is I would only be hauling with the truck maybe 6-8 days a month. Rest of the time personal driving. Seems like a major hassle on a daily basis for personal use. Wondering if something like a Garmin or Randmcnally that does the IFTA reporting would work. Just have it on all the time and have it spit out reports.

9. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I would not even bother with IFTA or IRP but when I do haul loads it is usually out of state into a state that limits the number of trip permits you can buy per year.

10. Not_Here_Long

Not_Here_Long Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Here is the answer most won't tell you. they only know what you tell them whether it's 1000 miles or 10000 miles just tell the same story all the time. I went through an ifta/irp audit took them 2 years to collect 9 dollars they said I owed . plus they had to have a court hearing to get it. It's more to the story than that in the end they spent probably 5K or more to collect 154 dollars and they couldn't stop my renewals for 2 years either.

11. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    There's a difference between IFTA miles, and personal conveyance miles. Personal conveyance is taxed at the pump in my state. As instructed by IFTA, I do not have to report personal conveyance miles in my pickup. And yes my pickup has apportioned license plates on it also. IFTA offices in other states might tell you something different? I'd suggest that you call your local IFTA office direct and ask the same question.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.