Im going to order new Pete 587 midroof and I need any suggestions or opinions.Thanks

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by paul_k, Aug 11, 2012.

1. paul_k

paul_k Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Chicago,Illinois
    This is spec

Pete 587 Midroof sleeper with Premium Interior and Peterbilt Smart NAV
    Engine : ISX 15 525/2000 1820@1200
    Front axle: Dana spicer E1202l 12000lb
    Tires: Bridgestone 295*75*r22.5
    Rear axle: Dana spicer DSP 40 3.25 axle ratio 40000lb
    Tires: Bridgestone 295*75* r22.5 M726EL
    All aluminum wheels
    Fuller RTLO 18918B 18 speed
    Fuel tanks: 120 and 80 gallons

I'm doing flatbed and mostly east- west coast

Any suggestions to engine, axles, transmission?
    What options I should not miss?

Thanks again for a help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. -insert name-

-insert name- ATM squishier

Jul 12, 2012
    SOMEWHERE
    For flatbed? Those specs are more for heavy haul! Your good.

4. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    Just curious, why a condo for flatbed? I like the flex air set up for rear suspension, saves some weight & maintenance free. But have never had anything else & it is only rated at 36,000 vs 40,000.

5. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

6. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    I believe the new Paccar twins are all coming with air disk std. on the front axle, if it was me I would opt for the air disk on the rear axle also. I would also spec a wide front axle, that's just personal on my end, truck turns better.

Are you doing side skirts or not, if not I would order the chrome cover that goes over the DEF tank, also I am partial to the chrome front bumper over the plastic color coded one.

I do love the look of the midroof 387/587

Stan

7. Markvfl

Markvfl Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Apopka, FL
    I agree about the look of the mid roof vs the condo on the 387/587. IMO the sale of 387s to O/Os would have tripled if they would have made a 70 inch mid roof instead of the short sleeper they offered, but I always thought they were decent looking trucks.

As far as specing a new truck goes, I'd leave the factory NAV out because technology doubles every 2 years and these will be antique units in 4 to 6 years but are built into the truck. For driver's trucks I'd also go with the 10 speed ultrashift to save weight, reduce maintenance and repair costs and increase fuel mileage. For my application in heavy haul the 525/18 speed is great but IMO overkill for flatbeds. I'd also be putting APUs on them before they ever left the yard. I know a fleet of 387s with very similar specs - ISX, 10 speed ultrashift/3:55/22.5 lo pro and no APUs that average 7.2mpg for the fleet. These are set at 450hp. Not sure how much difference there is in operating costs when you go to 525.

8. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    I'm an extended hood person myself. Hauled the e-w Balt-Sea and pulled a covered wagon but had to remove the side kit quite often. Had a 265 in. Pete with a 10 ft spread axle TMO. Got a super smooth ride. Had a 15 over and 3406E 500 HP but ti turned 2200 RPM top. Eaton 40,000 rear axles, 3.70 rears and 22.5 hi profile tires. Topped out at 91 and would cruise all day 80 mph across NE. Used to hammer past Schneiders 62 MPH trucks and make their trailer rock.

On a Tennessee highway: Take notice: when this sign is under water, this road is impassable.

9. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    Totally missed where he said midroof. Just saw 587 & immediately thought of condo.

I picked up a air filter at F/liner this afternoon & was asking about air disc brakes. The guy said the parts were getting stupidly expensive. Have not checked them out, but while mentioning this for someone to order. Has anyone ran the cost or issues with them over the long term? Only asking as I do not know anything about them one way or another.

FLATBED Thanks this.
  10. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Are you allways hauling the same trailer?
    If so............put a tire measuring system.(with in cab display)

As you will be around or below the 80 000lbs,i would concider a 13L instead off the 15L.
    Check which will be the most profitable.(mpg)
    More horsepower doesn't mean less fuel.
    And a 13L can do that work just as well.

Mark's remark about a APU i would concider for shure.

11. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    I picked up a air filter at F/liner this afternoon & was asking about air disc brakes. The guy said the parts were getting stupidly expensive. Have not checked them out, but while mentioning this for someone to order. Has anyone ran the cost or issues with them over the long term? Only asking as I do not know anything about them one way or another.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the parts are expensive, I do have them on my 384, and I would NOT order a new truck without them. Good pedal feel and they will haul you down to a stop RIGHT NOW. Plus there are a LOT less parts to buy should you have a problem.

But to me, I have added insurance that I can stop in a shorter distance if I have to, and this is a biggie for me, NO slack adjuster, SO I don't have to worry about a DOT guy crawling around under my truck that I JUST had brakes put on and tell me there is one or more "out". Just a pet peeve of mine.

In fact I just ordered a new trailer and speced it with air disc's as well.

JMHO,
    Stan

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.