Industry Standard

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by kw600, Jun 20, 2015.

1. kw600

kw600 Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    everywhere,usa
    What is the industry standard for a freight broker agent. Position is 100% commission. I was told I'd keep 30% of profit. Is this far too low?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Yes. Should start at 60/40 minimum and increase as your sales increase.

4. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Thats 60%agent 40% house.

5. kw600

kw600 Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    everywhere,usa
    It is with a very large brokerage. I thought that sounds too low. It was mentioned I'd keep 30% of the profit. So if I get a customer paying 1,000 per load, I find someone to haul for 800.thats 200$ profit. 30% of $200 would be 60 bucks.
    On 100% commission no hourly wage or salary. It seems disappointing.

6. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    You will have to work your way up the pay scale,you will have to start somewhere if you move 8 loads at 60$ per hr. or day or wk. you will have to start working if you want a CK. at end of week?

7. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    I guess if you do 1 a day it would be very disappointing but if you do 10 a day yippeeee.

8. kw600

kw600 Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    everywhere,usa
    Yeah I hear that. It just seems like it is discouraging if you work your ### off and not find a customer after a few months, that no money coming in.

9. powerhousescott

powerhousescott Medium Load Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Pecuiar, MO
    When you are starting out with no customers, that is quite commonly the rate. They will generally give you a starting customer base to manage. You are just learning how to win customers over by managing already established customers. If you are going to be successful the important thing to remember is your best customer is the trucker. If you take care of the trucker, who remember you are selling the load to, he will take care of you. You are actually better off to make less per load, but move more loads. Brokering is a quantity vs quality game, if you are working for a firm that expects the trucks to move it at a cheap price all of the time. You will have many a frustrating day, customers griping at you from both sides, commissions sucking because you can't move the loads. There is a fine line between profitability and greed. Find that line, walk it tightly and you can be successful without being looked upon as a cheat, thief, and lier. We work with a lot of good firms and they have good agents and they have greedy agents. Guess which ones get our trucks?
    Do your job right and you will make very good money. Do your job wrong and you will go home hungry a lot.

Hope this advice helps

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.