Info on Averitt...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by robert.smith, Mar 28, 2014.

1. robert.smith

robert.smith Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Bossier City, LA
    Starting a refresher course on Monday for 50 hrs. I'm interested in Averitt Express because they have a terminal about 20 mins from my house. Does anyone have any recent updates on Averitt? Good company? Pay good? Miles? Hometime? How does regional or OTR compare to local, I assume is more LTL type of work. Is there a lot of drop and hook? No touch freight? Just trying to get any and all information so I can either add them to my wish list or not. Also do they offer tuition reimbursement? Any and all info is most appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sherlock510

sherlock510 Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Intercontinental.
    TruckDuo Thanks this.
  4. robert.smith

robert.smith Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Bossier City, LA
    I would, but I'm out of town this weekend so that's why I was seeing what I could find out here

5. ryan7659

ryan7659 Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Kenton,Ohio
    I have worked at averitt for about a year and a half now and so far have not had any problems. I work on the truckload side and i would say about 75% are live loads and unloads with rest drop and hook. It has all been no touch freight with the only exception being if you get on a dedicated account that requires it. My average miles are around 2100 a week, and i have been home every weekend except when i wanted to stay out. I don't know much about the LTL side except if you work during the day you will do local p&d at customers and if you run at night you will shuttle freight between the service centers. If you have questions don't be afraid to go down to the service center (terminal) near you and talk with them. it looks like you are close to shreveport, so if you do go to the service center you may half to go through the week because a lot of the smaller facilities do not have anyone or very few people working on the weekend.

6. mobljoe

mobljoe Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I will just warn you, "don't disagree with anyone there or even the doctors they send you to for DOT physicals". I worked there from 1-14-2013 to 1-21-2014. I ran a dedicated run to ATL, Ga 2 nights a week and then filled in where ever my FM needed me to. First 6 months pay was great and then it slowly got bad, ie was making $1200 a week when I left was only making $600 or $700 a week. I am a diabetic, so I have to get a DOT Physical every year. Went to the doctor they told me to go to, I passed everything and he started to fill out my Medical Card. When he turned the paper over and saw I was a diabetic he disqualified me until I did exactly what he wanted me to do. I told him it was BS for him to do that and I left the office. The doctor's office called corp. office and told them I threatened their lives( the doctors office handed my a sheet of paper stating what the doctor wanted me to do and told me to have my personal doctor fill it out and bring it back in 30 days and they would finish my DOT Physical. I didn't threaten anyone Just left the office.) I drove 2 1/2 hrs to the corp. doctor that passed my during oriention and he passed my DOT physical without any problems. Corp. wouldn't except it and on 1-21-2014 I was fired for who knows what, just got a call from FM and was told Averitt was firing me. He told me he didn't know why, all they told him to do is fire me.

7. Raven_Whitefox

Raven_Whitefox Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Cookeville, Tennessee
    I have worked with Averitt Express since June of 2013. My first few months with them after the refresher training were rough. The main reason was dealing with my Fleet Manager. Our personalities clash is the best way to describe it. After the new year, it has been getting better and better. They also just re-adjusted their entire pay scale and from what I can gather, every regional driver got a 4 cent per mile pay increase. This I got in conjunction with a 2 cent per mile pay increase less than 2 weeks before that. For the most part I have gotten home weekly. The times I haven't I have received extra home time. As far as pay goes, I make ok money but the benefits are the good thing with Averitt. Profit Sharing, 401k, Paid Vacation time and paid holidays. Medical, dental, and vision benefits as well on top of that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.