Insurance question

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by cat2, Aug 29, 2016.

1. cat2

cat2 Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Hi all, I recently interviewed for a northeast regional job doing dry van. I asked the owner/mgr about health insurance. He told me I had 2 options. I could get 25% of the load and 5% of each load would go to cover my health insurance. Or, 30% of the load and get no health insurance. I asked how much is that per month? He told me most of the drivers are on their wife's insurance plan? That still don't answer my question. Still cannot get an idea of the monthly cost. I was then told they did 1-2 loads a week to Bronx. In addition to other work. The truck I was gonna drive was a freightliner with 1,500,000 on it. WTF? No ez pass you pay cash for tolls. no e-log and it's governed at 80mph. I took it for a test drive and it was mechanically sound. So, I said I would have to give it some thought. So, my question is how much could I be spending on health insurance per month if I take 25% of the load instead of 30%. This guy runs 4-5 trucks. Small fleet operator.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Your ins. rate won't change from month to month. But that 5% sure can.

Just throwing numbers out.

One month ya make $4000. That 5% is $200.
    Next month you make $6000. That 5% is $300.

Not sure what you will be making. But if in the ballpark of those numbers, it may be cheaper to take the 25% depending on what insurance you can find and the price. $600+/mo for ins is not unheard of.

4. cat2

cat2 Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Thanks. That helps me alot. I do not think I would make $6000.00 a month with this outfit. But, I am going to check out some bigger companies as well. I like ez pass .And I never had too many issues with e-logs . Thanks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.