Interested in starting out

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Samot, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Samot

Samot Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgia
    Hello everyone,

I'm looking into hauling cars and have some questions. I've been driving for a disposal company for the last 12 years, I was just told he is looking to sell the company and possibly shut it down in Feb. do to serious health issues. I was looking to buy a dump truck a couple years ago but the more I spoke to other drivers the more I decided not to. The time has come that I must do something else to provide for my family.

So, I have car hauling experience. I drove a 4 car carrier before going to the disposal company. I see jobs where people are asking for a 3, 5, 7+ car carrier drivers but never a 4 ? The reason I'm asking is you can get away with driving a 4 car with just a class B license. I only have a class B, so I was wondering is buying a 4 carrier going to allow me to make money ? How hard is it to start off ? Is there anything that I should know before starting out ? I looked at load boards but also wanted to ask if there any other options or suggestions you can give me about obtaining work ?

Thanks you in advanced.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chris_karr

chris_karr Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'll comment on the CDL part and let someone answer the rest. If your combination is 26,001lbs and and the trailer is 10,001lbs or more you must have a Class A CDL. If your combination is under 26,001lbs you can have a trailer 10,001lbs or more with a medical card and no CDL even. With a 4 car you will most likely have the trailer alone around 25,000gvwr so you will be well into Class A territory. Only way to do it is to have a 2 car that is 10,000 and less gvwr and I don't believe they makes the 2 car below 14,000gvwr and you'd only break even really..

canadianredneck Thanks this.
  4. Samot

Samot Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgia
    Thank you for a the fast reply. When I say a 4 car carrier I'm not talking a trailer. All truck just like this one..

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/6969605/2016-freightliner-business-class-m2-106

Here is a 5 car, no need for a class a correct ?

http://trucksdaily.com/listing/128979/Volvo-WAH64

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    Ziggy319 Thanks this.
  5. chris_karr

chris_karr Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Samot Thanks this.
  6. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    In most cases a 4 car does not need a class A, however we will not hire a class B driver for our 4 car because once you tow a F-350 or such with a gvwr over 10,001 pounds you require a class A, and we tow trucks all the time. That said, if it is your own truck then you can control what you choose to haul, and yes there is money to be made with a 4 car like you are looking at. There are many inop vehicles on the load boards paying decent money that most haulers will not touch because they don't have keys, not a problem for a 4 car. As for a job listing for a 4 cardriver, check with @Ziggy319 he is building a a brand new 4 car as we speak and is looking for a driver to run CT to NJ with it. You being in Old Bridge may be a good fit for him.

The 5 pack you posted would never need anything other than a class B, but being in NJ you will most likely come into NY often and they are not legal in NY once you have overhang, and you can't load a 5 pack without overhang! That said, many guys take their chances and run them in NY all the time.

7. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    I guess I would ask this, why not talk to your boss about buying the disposal company, I would think disposal business has a hell of a lot more upside than auto haul at this time???

8. Samot

Samot Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgia
    That was my first idea but the cost to buy the disposal company is way out of range for me. I also know what he goes through to get money from homeowners. He seems to never stop running and chasing money.

9. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

Collecting money is a given if you are in business for yourself, I don't care if you are hauling cars, hauling garbage, or selling ice cream from a truck, How you go about your billing/handling of it is what is important, it just may be that his "billing" system needs revamped?

He is going to have to either sell the company whole, or liquidate it piece by piece, either way, if he had claimed any deductions throughout the business equipment life, he WILL own taxes on whatever money he receives for said business, and it could be a substantial hit.

This opens the door wide for both of you, he could sell you the business "on time" and he would not take a huge hit on capital gains taxes, AND, you could get going for a minimum outlay?

Not saying you should or shouldn't, just saying there are other options than an outright sale, you have been there for 12 years, you should have a decent handle on what goes on?

With all of that said, you are probably in the best part of the country for auto haul.

10. Samot

Samot Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgia
    I agree completely, the way he bills is a complete mess. I've been driving for him for over 12 years and just feel its time to change my path and find out as much as I possibly can about car hauling. Its good to know I'm in the best part of the country, that actually makes me feel even better about doing it. I've talked to a few people and have only heard that it's a good business to get into. So if anyone can give me any other suggestions about obtaining work besides central dispatch, please let me know and any other things I should consider and take in.

KANSAS TRANSIT Thanks this.
  11. Samot

Samot Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgia
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.