Internal coolant leak based on oil samples

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by gabton-tankers, Jan 20, 2015.

1. gabton-tankers

gabton-tankers Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2014
    The reservior falls below the low-level and it had to be refilled a quarter of a gallon every week. I'm wondering why only potassium is staying in the sample. I changed the oil every month with PM.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Not sure, but I have seen this before with the potassium levels. I suspect the coolant is being burnt and potassium is the only element able to survive the combustion process and end up in the oil.

4. gabton-tankers

Feb 11, 2014
  5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    You have done the intercooler. The next cheapest thing is the oil cooler. We don't see too many Cats anymore. I have limited experience on those. I would still blame the oil cooler before a head gasket. Get a coolant pressure tester with a pressure gauge on it. Attach it to the coolant reservoir. Run the engine up to temp and see of the pressure rises too much, (15 psi or more). You can also have the coolant tested when the engine is running for the presence of combustion gases to diagnose a failed head gasket.

6. gabton-tankers

Feb 11, 2014
    Update: I know this was about a month ago but I am still having coolant issues. I've replaced the EGR cooler and its still a presence of coolant leak inside engine. Also, its easy for the engine to heat up when climbing up a hill. Also, the reservoir warped and it looks like its a cause of a high pressure. Replacing the coolant cap fixed that issue.

Either way, these fixes has become a gradual expense that could cause more. I think the next step is rebuilding or maybe doing an engine glider kit? But I don't think i have time for that so I'll probably just trade in the truck and keep the revenue coming.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I think that is the best way to go. The source of the internal leak could also be a cracked block or head too, so there comes a time when you need to know when to walk away.

8. serozhah

serozhah Light Load Member

Sep 8, 2013
    How can the coolant overpressurize if there is a 15psi coolant cap? As far as i know, what would happen is the air escaping the engine or from compressor would force the coolant out of the overflow tube. But pressure in the coolant system would still be at 15psi.

9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The coolant system will normally be around 7-10 psi. Once combustion pressure, or air compressor pressure enters the picture the pressure does go up to the pop off rating of the rad cap. At this point the coolant is over pressurized even though technically it never exceeded 15 psi. If the engine is pushing out coolant, there is a problem.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.