International 8600 headlight issue

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by BrianP, Jul 19, 2015.

1. BrianP

BrianP Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Hello everyone - new to this site.
    I have a 2005 International 8600. The headlights do not come on when I flip the switch on the dash (left of the steering wheel). The parking lights come on with the switch but no headlights... Air brakes - parking brake off - daytime running lights come on and flash to pass works. However, bright lights won't stay on either (assume its because the dim lights are not on).

I have never had an International so I am new to how all this works... I have mostly older Petes (a lot less computer stuff). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I would guess the switch pack is no good. This can be easily verified by someone with Diamond Logic software to see if the body controller is getting the head light on signal from the switch pack. The headlights can also be turned on through the software to verify the headlights do actually work as well.

BoxCarKidd and BrianP Thank this.
  4. BrianP

BrianP Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Thank you HeavyD
    Do the fog lights operate in the same manner? They too are not working.
    When the lights are on (on a normal working truck ;-) and you click back for the brights to come on, I assume the BCM controls this as well because of the lack of mechanism in the turn signal indicator (like an older vehicle when it "clicks"). I am going to go to the International dealer tomorrow and have them hook it up to their computer but I want to sort of have an idea of whats going on.
    Thanks again,
    Brian

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yep, same.

BrianP Thanks this.
  6. Billy Mississippi

Billy Mississippi Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2018
    I have a 2006 8600 doing the exact same thing. What was the solution?

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
  8. Billy Mississippi

Billy Mississippi Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2018
    I read it. In the middle of harvest and already have one truck transmission out and then this happened to my international last Friday. I didn’t see any final solution other than taking it to the international dealer which is 105 miles away. I’ve been through grounds and harness. I was suspecting the switch pack or bcm. Just hate to throw unnecessary parts at it. Mine has the exact symptoms that Brian stated.

9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I don't know what to tell you. This is how you diagnose these problems. You don't have to go to a dealer, but you have to find someone with Diamond Logic builder software to see what the body controller is seeing. If you have any other trucks around, you can try swapping clusters as a test. As a side note, make sure you check both bulbs. It is easy to burn out both at the same time if you boost these or over charge the batteries.

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.