International Trucking School (Lansing MI)

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by T. Hooghouse, Jun 17, 2015.

1. T. Hooghouse

T. Hooghouse Bobtail Member

Well as of yesterday June 15th, 2015 I was approved for a loan to take the July 6th-Aug.7th class at ITS of Lansing. Super stoked to finally start my dream career! So I thought I may as well start a post about it, this way others interested can get a heads up on what it's like.

I will be participating in the 5 week program, The first four weeks covers all the "basic" knowledge, how to drive, fill out paper logs, ect. and tuition covers; Temporary Instruction Permit, DOT Physical, Drug Screening, and your first road test. The 5 week course grants you; CPR & First Aid, Defensive Driving Training, Endorsements ( Hazmat, Double Triple, and Tanker), and the one I can't wait for is Skid Pad Training!

First thing you're going to have to do is decide how you're going to be paying for schooling, whether it's going to be Government assisted, Cash, or some type of Loan.
    Next they require you to have at least 3 prehires, and they give you a stack of roughly 15-20 apps filled out.
    *Also you'll have to fill out a packet of info for the School itself, which isn't to horrible.
    After all that you will get the go ahead for you orientation date.

For me currently I have 6 pre hires 2 I know are a definite that I would go with Mainly because I want to do Flatbed, However Currently waiting to here back from two others.
    • PTL
    • Roehl
    • US Express
    • KLLM
    • Mcelroy
    • Werner
    Those are just the order that I had received my Prehires in.

Currently I am happy working with ITS to get me into class mainly because they were upfront with and and told me how everything goes and they were even honest about their equipment "Not the newest tractors and Trailers but they get the job done" From what I've seen I know one truck is for sure a KW not 100% sure if the other is or not haven't seen it from the front yet, both have full sleepers and they're using 48' trailers, also were actually learning on Standards or Stick whichever term you prefer.

My next update should be June 30th as that will be my orientation day. Any questions feel free to ask and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

91B20H8 and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's some more flatbed that hire new CDL grads:

System Transport
    Jones Bros. Trucking
    Halvor Lines
    Pride Transport

T. Hooghouse Thanks this.
  4. T. Hooghouse

Thanks for the Heads up China, will defiantly be reading up on them!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. T. Hooghouse

Today June 30th we had our orientation at ITS Lansing. Pretty much everything that I thought it would be. Gave us general knowledge of what's going to happen in class and that the first week were studying to get our permits to drive. We also received what chapters to study in our CDL book before class starts. This class ended up being a little bit smaller I do believe there is only 8 of us and they all seem to be a pretty good group of guys. After we got the rundown of whats all taking place we head over to get our Medical Cards and our Drug Screen, Which took a solid two hours and an hour and a half of that was sitting in the waiting room.

Overall today was pretty quick and painless. For those of you that are wondering we had to be at the school at 9am and we were out of the school by 11:45.

From here I start class Monday July 6th

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Skid pad training sounds fun

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. NoPlanB

NoPlanB Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2014
    T Hoog, I live closer the Canton location. Wondering what the daily schedule is and the cost.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Good job! Now, start the job applications. Best time is during the first week of CDL school. Gives you plenty of time to look over the job offers and be ready to roll at graduation.

9. unholy7

unholy7 Light Load Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Don't forget Prime too. Highest paying student company around.

10. T. Hooghouse

Well my first week of class is done. Pretty much everything we did was book work and stayed in class, other than 1 day were we went out and showed us how to perform our VSI (vehicle safety inspection) along with the 3 backing maneuvers we have to do for our skills test (straight line, Off set, 90 Ally Dock) and that morning we able to see the inside of one of Werner's new KW's. Other than that they tought us about emergency situations, different types of braking, how to complete our turn, 4 wheelers are morons ect. Next week we'll be getting our TIP's (Permits) and should start out on the pad Thurs.

@HorseShoe Skid Pad Training does sound fun, However it seems that the Eaton Road Rangers or someone along those lines are no longer going to be doing it. So they're currently trying to find another skid pad Possibly the one at the MSP training facility.

@NoPlanB Not sure on that, I would assume that it would be a similar schedule 8am-5pm, but you know what they say about assuming...

@Chinatown Thanks China currently I have filled out close to 20 or so paper apps through the school and am thinking about either going with Mcelroy they seem to want me because they're growing there business North. But thinking I may try and get into TMC. Also looking into a company that's here in MI and does OTR Tap Transportaion Inc out of Battle Creek, Would you happen to know anything about them because there website is pretty bare.

@unholy7 I have thought about prime but not 100% still doing my research on a lot of companies but it is a maybe.

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I don't know anything about Tap Transportation.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.