Internet on the road

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by GeorgiaBoy_JL, Aug 27, 2016.

1. GeorgiaBoy_JL

GeorgiaBoy_JL Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Douglas GA
    Tell me, what is the way to go for internet service on the road? I would like to be able to use a laptop at shipper, receiver and rest areas, well most anywhere there is a little downtime. I know time is limited, I have been thinking that I could use a laptop easier than cell phone. Any thoughts? :computer: :yes2557:

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    A galaxy S2 tablet with 4g built in from Verizon will cost only 35 per month plus your data plan, 2 yr contract. Also has wifi when near a free hot spot. Its light and fully functional. Runs all google apps and trucking related stuff. I can do everything on mine that I can do on my laptop except play dvd movies. Great product for bring the internet with you anywhere. Light and easy to use.

Galaxy Specs
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_tab_s2_9_7-7438.php

Galaxy reviewed....

4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Just about any phone comes with mobile hotspot capabilities these days. No need to spend more money then you have to for a tablet to do the job.

I had a tablet. And it didn't have cell service.

5. sherlock510

sherlock510 Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Intercontinental.
    Either get a phone that has a hotspot function or buy a hotspot device from a carrier (AT&T, Verizon etc). I use the free hotspot app on my android phone (Sprint), and for the reliability factor those are really the only options.

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  6. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    I used a Verizon jet pack hot spot for years ....why? Cause the hotspot on phones eat more data....almost 50 percent more and I had 20 giga byte plan.

I gave my laptop to my wife....cut off the jet pack and carry my tab where ever travel in much smaller foot print.

I broke three laptops in 7 years on the truck....too many bumps....falls & scratches...

For me money is not the issue....I enjoy the features and benefits of the S2 Tablet much more than my Samsung laptop running windows 8.1...the S2 is faster and there is almost no boot up or shut down required....runs off a cigarette light power adapter or A/C.

If money is the issue, keep the laptop and use the hot spot on your smart phone or other device.

One day I hope trucking companies will offer free wifi in their cab....until then.....its bring your own or hope you can find it along the route.

7. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I prefer my laptop. I also use T-Mobile WiFi in the truck. You can pay for WiFi at most of the major truck stops, but I spend $30/month for T-Mobile. I have a decent signal in most places that I go. Iowa is a bit spotty around the Iowa 80 truck stop. It is the least expensive WiFi I could find for the truck. I bought the unit at Walmart for $50 (I believe) and it came with 5g of data. Essentially, you are pretty much getting your WiFi unit for free (or almost) when you consider the data that comes with it. T-Mobile also has unlimited data. They have several plans available for 4g and then unlimited at 2g. Most plans limit your data.

GeorgiaBoy_JL and Dominick253 Thank this.
  8. Dominick253

Dominick253 Heavy Load Member

Nov 19, 2015
    I use T-Mobile hotspot. $35 a month with unlimited video and music streaming. I usually used 30_40 gigs a month and I'm local. Not the best coverage but...

GeorgiaBoy_JL Thanks this.
  9. GeorgiaBoy_JL

Jun 18, 2016
    Douglas GA
    I agree they should put free wifi in their cab. THANK YOU! So should the mega fuel centers offer it free ... along with more economical rates for the professional driver

azbraindamage and DustyRoad Thank this.
  10. GeorgiaBoy_JL

Jun 18, 2016
    Douglas GA
    I know its a competitive market in trucking but give the prof. driver a little break. I worker in construction and have seen home builders that could build a house. They could put the scrap wood in a 55 gal drum after drying in a house. Trucking companies figure every gallon of fuel and every mile. They gotta loosen up and give a little elbow room. Ya think???

azbraindamage Thanks this.
  11. GeorgiaBoy_JL

Jun 18, 2016
    Douglas GA
    Don't add the FREE shower back into your wifi, food or beverage!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.