Inverter installation

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TampaTony, May 1, 2016.

1. TampaTony

TampaTony Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2015
    What's the best path to run cables from battery to Inverter for Inverter instalation. KW W900 b 2015

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. oicu812

oicu812 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Wisconsin
    You should ask this in the garage forum, probably the Kenworth sub-forum.

4. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    on most trucks if you look at the underside of the sleeper (under the side box) you will see a few cut outs.... drill a hold thru the rubber pad into the side box...
    again on most trucks if you look in the side box you will see a few cut out's under the bed going to the cab... drill out one of them...
    run your wires from the battery box thru the side box and into the cab...... use zip ties were you can to hold the wires and seal the wires as they go into the side box
    mount your inverter and your good to go.....MAKE SURE your wires have in-line fusses

TampaTony Thanks this.
  5. $_35.jpg

High Quality Gold In-line 4 or 8 Gauge AGU Fuse Holder + 5 Pack 50 AMP AGU Fuses

Best place is close to your inverter so your not outside in weather trying to change a fuse

6. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Inverter fuses stay in the battery box close to the source just like the breaker box in your house. You can buy good jumper cables. Drill hole in floor and run along underside of cab then into the battery box. Follow directions as to what gauge wire to use. Chances are jumper cable wires are much larger then you need so you may need to cut some of the strands off to get into the inverter holes.

Solder on ring terminals to the battery ends. You can crimp them on but your going to need a hydraulic crimping tool.

7. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Personally I would pay the price to have it professionally done at a shop. Kw.Volvo.frhtlnr. ect. That way if the truck goes up in flames because of the inverter it wouldn't be me having to to by ME a new truck.

8. Yves kanevil

Yves kanevil Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Nighthawk
    Running two cables properly is not a big job. The OP wants to know were to run the cables for his inverter generator not what shop he should get it done at

shorty102292, tonycr and TampaTony Thank this.
  9. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    1st your right about having the fuses as close as passable to the batteries just in case,

2nd i would never use jumper cables, as most are to thin and IMHO to light to take the load long term.... i would also not use the wire kits that come with the inverter for the same reason.

with i used is 250 amp welding lead.... or you could use the same size wire as you starter uses. both will take the power. thicker wire is more efficient, thinner wire will have more resistance.... resistance = heat, heat = FIRE

shorty102292 Thanks this.
  10. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    My 3,000 watt inverter has been in my truck for 10 years using good 20' jumper cables. My inverter uses 2 inputs so I have a set of cables to each side of the trucks battery boxes.

11. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    What ever size inverter you use just be advised that for every 100 watts you pull on the inverter you are pulling 8.3 amps on the battery and the wiring between the battery and the inverter. Plan accordingly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.