Is it difficult to switch dual rims on a trailer to super singles?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by OOwannaBE, Sep 30, 2016.

1. OOwannaBE

OOwannaBE Medium Load Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    I know millions of truckers hate super singles but I like them. Is it pretty simple if I buy a trailer to have them swap out the rims with super singles? To those who never used super singles they turn wayyyyyyy easier than dualies. I can jack knife and get into any spot without any pull ups with super singles since the wide duals turn like a rolling pin.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Yes, its as simple as bolting them on. Might want to confirm you have a compatible offset first (0 works with everything, 2" works on some)

sdaniel and OOwannaBE Thank this.
  4. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Also if you plan on running faster than 65 mph you are better off with duals. I know a fleet owner with company trucks set at 75 mph. Super singles do not wear well at all at the higher speeds of 70-75 mph speed limit states. Duals are the only way to go if you run a lot of 70-75 mph states and/or run 70/75 all the time.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    SoDel and wore out Thank this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    One of the reasons for the wear seems to be low air pressure. I run them on a few trucks and we figured that keeping them below 110 psi caused them to wear a little faster, so they get checked and filled at 115 to 120.

OOwannaBE and wore out Thank this.
  6. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    If you blow a tire with duals, at least you can limp to a safe spot. You blow a super single and you are dead right there.

I like redundancy and duals provide that.

7. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    His trailers are all set up with self inflation systems. He and lots of other say if you're going to run them you either have to be very on top of checking and maintaining the proper inflation, run self inflation systems, or you are guaranteed problems if you don't. With company drivers self inflation systems seem like a must. Don't know what psi he has them set at. He told me something he found to be a little strange but true was that retread super singles on trailers actually wear much better than virgins.

shortcut Thanks this.
  8. double yellow

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    They do tend to wear faster in the center at higher speeds (70+), particularly the early generation tires. I still think the 500-750lb weight savings (per tandem) is worth it especially if you travel in states with kingpin restrictions (your super singles can be ~6" farther forward than duals and have the same axle weight)

On the other hand, the KR glider went from SS to duals and is happier than ever...

OOwannaBE Thanks this.
  9. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Really? That truck is still around (KR T660 glider)? The one with all the controversy?

10. double yellow

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Terry270 and rollin coal Thank this.
  11. OOwannaBE

OOwannaBE Medium Load Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    Yes that's the argument but even when I blow a dual I still stop.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.