Is it legal for a different driver to deliver your load

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Luke628, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Luke628

Luke628 Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    I haul crude oil in Texas. Where I work drivers are often required to give a half load to your slip seat.

Drivers are mad because they have to give up 50% of what the load pays.

Our yard is only 12 miles from the lact.

Yesterday I pulled a load that was 140 miles away. Dispatch told me since my shift was nearly over I had to take truck to the yard,and my slip seat would deliver the load.

I complained because I drive nearly 280 miles round trip and the slip seat only had to drive 12 miles to deliver it.

Essentially I did 95% of the work for only 50% of the money.

Today a different driver told me this practice was illegal. Saying that since I loaded it I'm responsible for it, he also pointed out there is no place on the ticket to put second drivers name on it.

I'm not 100% sure either way. But it does make sense that the person that loads it would be responsible legally for delivering it.

Has anyone here had this practice forced upon them by their company?

Who would I contact to check the legality of this practice? D.O.T? OSHA?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    1)How would it be illegal? You log off he logs on.
    Two) have you ever been otr? If not there is this thing called re powering a load. Where another driver meets you and delivers your load(not slip seat) but same concept. because you're out of hours.

Only way you can fix it is....find a new job. Life isn't fair and neither is trucking

chalupa and truckon Thank this.
  4. Luke628

Aug 20, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    I was thinking the rules may be different for hazmat/tanker loads.

Many where I work are considering leaving.

There are several guys talking about all calling in sick on the same day, to send a message.

5. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    I could be wrong but unless they are not certified for hazmat you could say something but, I doubt that.

Hmm that could backfire on you guys though

Id rather look for a new job rather than trying to deal with their rules.

truckon Thanks this.
  6. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

Sounds like a lot of your buddies are going to be unemployed soon. Good luck with your games.

8thnote Thanks this.
  7. Dakota1358

Dakota1358 Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Staunton,Va
    So what happens when you luck out and drive 12 miles and get paid 50% of the load?Are you complaining then?Seems to me if people are getting paid to drive a short distance eventually it works out that you or your coworkers get the extra 50% for 10% of the work.

8. Dakota1358

Dakota1358 Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Staunton,Va
    And to answer your first question it is legal for a different driver to deliver a load hazmat or not.

9. Luke628

Aug 20, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    That's the thing.

I've never received a pre load. But I've been forced to give some up.

What happens is some of the slip seats will be assigned a load , and they figure they won't have enough hours to deliver it and don't want to do 95% of the work for 50% of the money so they'll tell dispatch they can't go get it. Some will intentionally drag their feet to make sure dispatch can't assign them a half load.

The good news is that after I started this thread I learned my slip seat got banned from all the leases of our biggest customer.

A pumper caught him bottom sampling with the bleeder, instead of thiefing the tank per API standards. He found water in the sample and tried to pump it back in the tank, but spilled since he left bleeder valve open.

My boss fired him.

So I don't have a slip seat eating off my plate, at least for now.

bbq247365 Thanks this.
  10. bbq247365

bbq247365 Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2012
    It's called a yard load. It has happened to me @ every oil hauling company I've worked for. You have to take the good with the bad. Just be sure to keep a tally on who sticks you so you can stick Em right back.

Highway Hypnosis and Luke628 Thank this.
  11. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    You could also not load the second and short your hours. Sounds like you work where I used too......but they hadn't tried this yet. We got to bring it to the yard and hold it overnight. Also kept rouge driver from stealing your good Polar trailer. Not supposed to drop them loaded.

No it's not illegal to repower / SS a load. Done all the time. Bad deal for you the way you described it though.
    Have a sleeper? Drag your feet all day and load number 2 and run out of hours, deliver after break. Let carrier worry about what SS driver is going to use on his shift.

Good luck either way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.