Is my lease agreement the end all be all?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by flybynite63, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Not confused, I understand the function of an open end contract or agreement in this case, there is no termination date of the contract or an agreement to renew the contract, even through many will have such a clause and renewal as part of an addendum process in house.

My customer isn't really the trucking company, my customer is theirs.

Why?

For two reasons, one is because most of the lease agreements are specific to the exclusive use of the truck and qualified driver, not allowing someone to service another customer as would be in the case of an owner who has their own authority.

The second is that I am servicing a customer for mutual benefit, not servicing the company.

The issue at hand is whether or not the company can stipulate outside the contract for an owner to control their behaviour (*speed limiter), even if there is a company policy written. Unless the contract stipulates that the company polices are to apply to the contractors and their equipment, there is no real recourse by the company other than terminating the contract. AND this also presents another possible issue, which can be addressed by the courts, if there is a termination for refusal to follow such a policy that is only applied to employees, a case may be made for a breech right there.

Again to repeat what I said in abbreviated form - When I tell people to get a lawyer, this is one reason why. A contract for many companies is not to be kind to the owner, and has holes in it that is open to interpretation.

Money should be spent in this phase, but it doesn't mean that it doesn't go to waste, no one should go into this blindly because of the cost of a lawyer.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    I don't agree your customer is who pays you the freight you pickup is your lessors customer. They pay the company your leased to

4. Pepper24

Dec 3, 2010
    You can hire a lawyer spend all the money you want they can terminate your contract any time for any reason

5. Pepper24

Dec 3, 2010
    This is why truck driver are better drivers then business owners . Business 101 first lesson customer is always the one who pays you your not a company employee any more.. You can play truck stop lawyer with long complicated answers all day it's not rocket science

6. BigSky

BigSky Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Were you able to resolve these issues?

7. flybynite63

flybynite63 Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2016
    NC
    I don't know if resolved would be the right word or not but I guess you could say I've come to terms. The newness of switching over to o/o has worn off now and a lot of worries of the man coming down and trying to control me have subsided.

My lease agreement does have one sentence in one paragraph that basically says to follow the company rules outlined in the company handbook. I have not read said handbook in 6 years nor do I or anyone else I know evenhave a copy.

I've decided just to go about my business just like I did when I was a company driver. Focus on my work. I deliver upwards of six loads of gas a day, somedays a little less based on length of haul. Going over 65 does not really gain you all that much on short hauling anyway. And if I do want to go over 65 all I have to do is set the cruise control and run it up to 70 and it does not show up as overspeed.

I like my job. I like the company I'm leased to. I'm in a real comfortable spot and don't know of anything I can just hop to with a day cab and work M-F with the option to work more on the weekend if needed. And the money is excellent also. So I'm just gonna let the bs slide.

8. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Smart move. Just worry about your business and don't get drawn into other people's drama.

9. BigSky

BigSky Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Sounds good, stay positive.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.