Is there any drivers with there Broker Lic. out there?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by milskired, Jun 23, 2010.

1. milskired

milskired Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
    Just curious as to how many of you O/O have there own authority and they have a brokering license or do you even need a broker license if you operate under your own authroity and have your own MC number.
    How did you go about getting hooked up with shippers and drop the broker out of the picture?
    How much better is the money if you do this?
    Just let me have the info that you all have and the knowledge you all have because if I get my own truck I want to do it right and maximize on profit and keep some of these dang brokers out of my wallet...

Thanks for the help all
    Semper Fi
    Ryan

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. milskired

Jul 20, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
    Anybody have any input?

4. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    We've got our authority and a brokers license. You only need the brokers license if you want to broker loads to other companies/oo's. You can sometimes get hooked up with a shipper directly but most larger companies don't want to deal with one guy with one truck. They want to send all their loads to say one broker and make him deal with getting them covered, not make 100 calls to get 100 loads covered. Some smaller places have no problem dealing with OO's directly. Getting the brokers license is a PITA and to be honest we haven't used it in a long time. I'm sure you can get a better rate dealing direct, not as much as a lot of guys want you to believe. Sometimes it's worth the broker fees to not have to deal with the shipper's bs directly.

We've bypassed brokers in the past but it wasn't on a steady basis. It just happened we had a truck in the area and called the shipper and they just happened to have a few loads avail. Just don't let the broker find out you bypassed them, it's a good way to burn bridges you might need later.

Good luck.

5. milskired

Jul 20, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
    Ok cool.

What all did you do to get your own authority? Did you just hire a trucking lawyer and have him do all the work and get everything you need just to play it safe and make sure you have all the proper paperwork?

I just like the idea of trying to get hooked up with a shipper that is willing to go right to the driver and give them loads instead of going to the broker. The only reason I would want a broker license is to just get my own loads from big places not to get other loads and be a full time broker. There is to many out there already and we need to get rid of some of these ones trying to cheat the driver out of money

6. highside

highside Medium Load Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Kansas

You don't need broker authority to solicit loads directly from a shipper. You have every right to do that on your own-granted you're going to haul the load with your own trucks. You only need it if you're going to offer the load to another carrier or an O/O who isn't leased to you.

7. milskired

Jul 20, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
    Ok cool thats all I needed to know highside. I appreciate the response and the knowledge.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.