Is this right?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by FLYMIKEXL, Feb 13, 2016.

1. FLYMIKEXL

FLYMIKEXL Medium Load Member

So one of my buddies is going to train with with C.R England. He starts this Monday he told me his plan is to get the CDL A from them and then move on from them in 3-6 months. I'm thinking that's kind of messed up to do that but he has the right to that especially if he still on the hook for the loan. I just want some feedback on this. Is this the common thinking in Trucking?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Yes, every one wants something for nothing.
    Having integrity and living up to ones obligations is about as common as common sense.

4. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Depending on the contract, he still owes the money. Some will say "so what? Let them sue" excc.. if thats your idea of a good thing to do...... if insted its more of a "let them train me so i can use them as a defacto loan that i imtend to pay, becuse i dont want to work for them but cant get a loan. Thats a little different but not by much. I say, they took the cost and risk, pay them the time behind the wheel you agreed to. Are you a man of your word? Or a peice of ####? So many claim the mega's scam, but then attempt to scam the scamers....

5. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    If your friend wants to get a bad reputation, then he can have at it. One thing I've learned over the years is word gets around. Better to show some integrity, that will benefit him over the years (better job offers, better routes, better treatment).

street beater Thanks this.
  6. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I am not familiar with cre's contract and what their requirements are, but I will assume they require a one Year commitment.

I definitely would recommend sticking it out for the year. Even if he does get out of the contract early, the odds of finding a better gig with only a few months of experience are very slim. But once you hit that one year mark, that opens up a lot of doors.

Bean Jr. and JReding Thank this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Actually, that's pretty common with Swift and CR England.
    They'll sell the debt to a collection agency. The loan is probably through a finance company anyway and not the trucking company.

FLYMIKEXL Thanks this.
  8. FLYMIKEXL

That's what he said too

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    CRST is aggressive in wanting their money, but the others aren't so much.

Carolina Logistics advertises their school is only $1300.00

10. FLYMIKEXL

I wanted him to go with me to Earl but he lost his job so he needs income now and it's literally a 30 min drive to the CRE terminal in Harrisburg PA

11. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    How, exactly, did he lose his job?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.