jake brake not working

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by jsmr, Apr 30, 2015.

1. jsmr

jsmr Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2015
    I have a 2005 w900 with a c15, my jake works when it is cold outside, when it starts warming up around 45 degrees it will work intermittently, if I sit with the heat running it will not work till I start driving to get cold air flowing, above 60 not working at all along with the cruise. Cat and Kenworth can not find the problem. I have had the motor rebuilt, the jakes rebuilt, new breaker, new clutch switch, and I have power to the on off switch. Does anyone have any ideas, I an starting to lose my mind. Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scotasmus

scotasmus Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2015
    That is a weird one do you have a pro link or scan tool to check and see if the ecm is reading your clutch switch is on or off. I would check it when it is cold and when hot. I know you put a new switch in but that would also eliminate any wiring issue in the clutch switch system.

jsmr and icsheeple Thank this.
  4. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    Good idea, but, wouldn't his cruise control not be working too?

5. scotasmus

scotasmus Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2015
    He said his cruise is not working either.

6. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    Oh! My bad... I see that now. Yeah, my money is on the clutch pedal switch or wiring.

7. scotasmus

scotasmus Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Ya me to. Good luck man

8. Meskie

Meskie Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Saskatoon Saskatchewan
    Sounds like wiring or switch caused by resistance. Heat causes resistance. Could be a bad ground.

jsmr Thanks this.
  9. jsmr

jsmr Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2015
    I noticed with my air on it doesn't fail as much. Is there a solenoid in the dash anywhere the all the wires go to before the fuse box.

10. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    From my experience with my truck, when my Cruise and Jake started working sporadically I traced it to the Accelerator Pedal Switch and Pedal. I installed a new one and it works perfect.

The Accelerator Pedal was worn out had play in it and was not giving the ECM the right Pedal Position signal, in turn the Jake and Cruise Control functions were affected.

jsmr Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.