Jake-Brake

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Miles_Of_Truckin, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Chain Drive

Chain Drive Medium Load Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Nova Scotia,Canada

I wouldn't say "skidding" when my drives lock up I still have 14 tires still rolling
    either way brakes or jake on ice/snow it will either lock or not I don' think there is one set rule or time when to or not to use the jake brake

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chain Drive

Chain Drive Medium Load Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Nova Scotia,Canada
    I was just re reading this thread to try to get back on point and I think the problem is we are comparing apples to oranges those of us who drive mostly off highway need to do things a bit different to get the job done

4. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey

You generized so did I.

5. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey

Sorry but this is the statement that bothered me. I was taught to avoid a situtation that you might have to recover from. An 85' 110,000lbs truck and trailer loaded with 12,450 gallons of gasoline has no room for mistakes in the city. I most likely did form the opinion that you knew there was all to know. It's good to hear that you are still learning. But aren't we ALL.

6. Keizer

Keizer Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2008
    GA
    what is the engine doing to make the jakes so loud? just curious

7. He who is called I am

He who is called I am Medium Load Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Da U P Eh, Michigan
    Lets not forget he originally asked about rain. We have got a bit off subject but its all stuff he needs to know n e how....lol and not to get a job up in Yukon territory:)))

8. He who is called I am

He who is called I am Medium Load Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Da U P Eh, Michigan

Air from cylinders..... If you have a large muffler the less noise you will here. The really loud ones come from straighter exhaust systems with little you no muffling

Keizer Thanks this.
  9. Against The Wind

Against The Wind <strong>"The Freedom Man"</strong>

Sep 22, 2007
    So. Calif.
    When loaded and heading down hill in snow/ice conditions this is what I do.

1. Make sure you are in the proper gear. (This seems to be the biggest mistake I notice when drivers start rolling downhill in a gear to high and then they can't slow down properly with out burning brakes or having to jake it.)
    The gear you used to go up the hill is probably the right gear you use to go down.

2. Apply the trailer brake gently and hold until rpms drop back down. Then release until rpms go back up. This will brake the trailer and slow down the entire rig from the back thus keeping the vehicle straight. Less points where the tires can lock up or skid. Do keep an eye on your trailer.

Just the way I have always done it and never had any problems.

10. jash369

jash369 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2007
    roslyn,pa
    To put another perspective if I may.

When you slow your truck down using your brakes, in theory (if slack adjusters are adjusted properly) all 5 axles (18wheels) are appliled force to slow the truck down.

Now consider this. When the jakes are applied they work through the engine which in turn the force of slowing the truck down is applied to the drive-train.
    Now the drive-train engine, trans, drive-shaft, drive-axle and the (4wheels) attached to that drive axle are now applying the force to slow down the entire truck. For this reason it is not advised to use the jakes in rain, snow or slippery conditions.
    Under consideration you are using (1)axle (4)wheels to handle the entire weight of up to 80,000lb.

If you so choose to use jakes they can be used if truck operated properly.
    Now according to manuals and the industry, it is suggested to before approaching a down-grade to down shift using the gear that is lower than the one you came up the hill on the other side.

To properly/safely use the jakes is to slow the truck down by shiftting down or slowing to the ideal speed then allowing the jakes to be applied to assist in the control of the decent. Do not use the jakes only with the purpose to slow the truck (for the reason as mentioned above)

Do the math........(1axle, 4wheels)....or....(5 axles 18 wheels)

Hope this helps to better explain.........please be careful out there. Alot of the accidents that happen can be avoided with just slowing down.......

11. Keizer

Keizer Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2008
    GA
    so whats the stuff inside a muffler that makes it quiet? what makes straight pipes different from other pipes so that when you hit the jakes or when your revving its louder?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.