Jambalaya, Crawfish Pie and Filet Gumbo

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by 6daysontheroad, Jun 28, 2015.

1. 6daysontheroad

6daysontheroad Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    North of the Rio Grande
    Found out from my dispatch I will be hauling a few loads out of New Orleans. I love good seafood, but it's been many years since I've been there. Any suggestions for restaurants with truck parking close by.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Where? You goin into the 1/4 or just the area? and which way are you coming in/out from--quite a few TS west of the Atchafalia basin bridge w/good food...once you get down in--not much truck parkin w/real good rest close by..all depends on the part of Nawlins you'll be in---BUT--you are goin be able to eat well at some point....;)

6daysontheroad Thanks this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    If you're coming in from Houston, Crawfish Town USA, I-10 exit 115 (just west of the basin bridge), north about 1/3 mile, on right. Plenty of truck parking. Great food, clean place.

5. 6daysontheroad

Dec 15, 2012
    North of the Rio Grande
    I'll be going into Harvey to pick up, but I doubt there are many good restaurants in that area. Been a long time since I've been to the French Quarter, but I remember some of the food there was unbelievable:)

6. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    The Pilot in Laplace, LA has a good bar right next to it with great crawfish...

7. 31N90W

31N90W Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Wow! A question that I know then answer to! I am from New Orelans. There is the Mardi Gras truck stop located at 2401 Elysian Fields Ave, New Orleans, LA 70117 (504) 945-1000 which is basically in the middle of the city and a short ($10) cab ride to the French Quarter. But, beware, it is also in the hood, so ask the other truckers there about the place. They do have overnight parking. All of the other truck stops are in the extreme eastern or western ends of the outskirts of the city. A $40-50 plus cab ride to the city. If I were you, I'd check out Mardi Gras Truck Stop. Hope this helps.

8. 31N90W

31N90W Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2013
    No good restaurants in Harvey? Ha! I am from New Orleans, China Doll and Kim Som are EXCELLENT - both are asian. Ask the folks at the drop site where they eat. I contend that Harvey does in fact have some great places. Check around. But, I admit that you might not be able to drive up to them in a semi.....

9. 31N90W

31N90W Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2013
    LaPlace in not New Orelans, it is some 30 mile out, in the swamps. BTW, ya'll, Cajun Food is not really not from New Orleans, not at all, Cajun food is from the Lafayette area, and the Acadiana Region in south and central Louisiana. New Orleans is more influenced by true French Cusine, which is not at all like Cajun cusine. Both are great though. The New Orleans French came from France, and the Cajuns came from Nova Scotia (Canada) after they got the boot from the British. Two different cultures. OK, enough about history. If you are in LaPlace, try to get to Jacob's = sausage, cracklins, boudin, and hogs head cheese. There is another famous place that makes sausages, boudin, and hogs head cheese in LaPlace, I forget the name. For anyone up North, hogs head cheese is not a cheese at all ; )

10. 6daysontheroad

Dec 15, 2012
    North of the Rio Grande
    Mmmmmmmm! Good. Head cheese is delicious.

11. Arkansas

Arkansas Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2014
    LA- Lower Arkansas
    In Arkansas we call it Hog Head Souse.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.