Just applied to swift what to expect?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Santah, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Santah

Santah Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2016
    I just put in a application for swift a few minutes ago.

After of weeks of debating and watching videos about truck driving I decided to apply.
    I know swift has a lot of negative reviews, but I am willing to do anything just to get my foot in the door.

I am currently 23 years old, I've never driven a truck before.
    I've been working in factories since I graduated highschool and I found out recently It's just not for me.

I want to see the world a bit more before my time is up with the earth.

Also how much home time would I have?

The only thing that will be hard to adjust is being away from home for awhile.
    I can deal with showering in a rest area and sleeping in a truck.
    But being away from home for weeks at a time may be hard.
    If anyone else has had the issues how did you get over those issues?

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    You'll be gone most of time during training , just the way it works. Only a few months though... Where do you live? Are you close to a swift terminal?

4. ExOTR

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Also- Married? Significant other? Kiddos?

5. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    You might as well not worry about hometime because you wont be seeing much of it. Figure on being home 3 days a month.

6. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    Generally you'll be showering in a truck stop or terminal, not a rest area. You'll probably be at home one day for every seven out. Biggest question, are you married, and do you have kids?

7. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    If you cant deal with being away from home then its gonna be tuff. That is the number one reason why younger drivers are not coming into this industry.

8. ExOTR

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Swift OTR is normally home every other weekend for 48hrs, more time off if out longer, regional is normally home weekly for 36hr reset and maybe midweek if you live right off the freight lane. Remember that Swift will be your "stepping stone" not your lifetime commitment. After you knock out a year a lot of carriers will hire you, some offer great home time depending on where you live. Also, if youre in decent shape and willing to handle freight you can find dedicated accounts pretty easily.

9. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Otr trucking is ideal for single people, loners, gypsie types. If a driver takes his girlfriend /boyfriend or wife/husband it makes it so much better.

MayhemTrucking Thanks this.
  10. Santah

Santah Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2016
    Closest terminal is in Richmond, VA for me. Which is literally an hour and 20 minutes away from home.

Well #### lol that seems depressing in a way.

Currently single at the moment.

Single, and 0 kids

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  11. ExOTR

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Do you have room to park a truck at home? A 1.5 hour commute isn't bad, considering it's only once a week or so. training will take a month or two, if you're lucky you might even end up with a trainer using that location as his home terminal. if you need cdl training you can also go through your state workforce commission, trucking is a "high need" field so most states will pay for your training school. I don't think Swift is a "bad company", but you'll have far better options available once you get some experience. A lot of carriers will get you home for 48hrs most weekends- And offer training as well, TMC comes to mind. I would recommend flatbed if possible. Carriers will normally treat you better and you'll get better home time than van/reefer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.