Land star questions

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by SH42, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    u

Do you not have to do the same thing running on your own? Do you expect to start finding the good brokers your first day and do you think the best loads will be posted ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. powerhousescott

powerhousescott Medium Load Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Pecuiar, MO
    Stay where your at. I was at Landstar and then went on my own. If you are getting that money consistently and don't have to deal with the headaches that are associated with having your own authority. I advise you to stay. If you believe you would enjoy the headaches, skip Landstar and go on your own.

4. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    You can haul landstar freight with your own authority and get paid more than O'Os leased to landstar,,Most agents will pay brokered loads at 80% of the revenue and some I worked with paid 85% .
    I had an agents pass word to look at their load board showing the gross revenue for 3 years and found that a lot of their freight for steps and RGNs came=right off other load boards,
    You will as mentioned above have more freight options with your own authority and I have had many brokers pay quick pay with no additional fees,
    With your own authority you can haul direct for shippers and keep 100% of the freight charges. I have had many shippers offer to load me direct because they wanted to know the truck hauling their freight rather than havijg a crap shoot wondering who and what kind of truck was going to show up Landstar, Mercer ,
    Malone as well as other supposed 100% owner operator carriers will lease on any truck no matter how old and what it looks like as long as it will pass a DOT inspection, Many shippers that pay good money to have their freight hauled would rather have a truck that not only passes a DOT inspection but looks decent as well as a decent professional driver. Nothing wrong with an older truck that has a decent appearance is well maintained but many O'Os leased to these companies have trucks that look like junk heaps,
    No hard to make good money on your own if you have a professional business appearance and attitude as well as good looking well maintained equipment,,

gonejpn and KB3MMX Thank this.
  5. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    ^^^^Well put!

I think the reason you see so many junked up lease operator trucks is because they're sacrificing that 15-25% (or more)of revenue that could be in their pocket and putting it in their MCs pocket....then insult to injury, they're handicapped by their MCs freight availability.

If you expect to find all the good brokers right off the bat without doing any work you'll be more than extremely lucky. Don't count on it.

Op, Did we ever get a mileage that is ran to achieve your current weekly income?

My guess though would be that you'll be happier with your home time where you're at now even if you could squeeze a little more $$ every week elsewhere.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  6. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    I think he left for more Marguerite mix.:D

powerhousescott Thanks this.
  7. powerhousescott

Jun 17, 2015
    Pecuiar, MO
    He can send one my way, I'm not driving tomorrow.

8. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    So the guys that broker from LS and give them 20% plus a few points for fast pay are doing better ?

9. powerhousescott

Jun 17, 2015
    Pecuiar, MO
    I don't give them 20%. They either pay the rate we want or we don't haul their freight. The answer is yes, we do better than the BCO. Its that way for any bigger carrier we haul for, not just Landstar. As far as the quick pay, I have never had a problem with Landstar not paying, so it works for all concerned. Most independents that I know don't haul a lot of Landstar freight.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  10. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    First off, we don't give them any percentage of our specified rate and we're not stuck hauling their freight either.

So yes, we pretty much cream the BCO's but we also did the work to be truly independent, not lease operators.

LS profits on lease operators as does any other MC, as they should!

powerhousescott Thanks this.
  11. powerhousescott

Jun 17, 2015
    Pecuiar, MO
    Agreed, they are taking a certain level of risk.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.