Landstar with a Van,good or bad.?

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by Steven Jones, Sep 16, 2015.

1. mastllc

mastllc Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    somewhere in ga
    most likely, after its bout 1.33 pulling a company trailer and 1.47 wit your own trailer without any deadhead miles. i myself ave never been to Texas wit landstar, and have no plans to go, most driver i talk to complaign about poor rates and to many truck in the area.

WisconsinF150 and Steven Jones Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tom 7610

Tom 7610 Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2015
    Yes I've seen most loads over 500 miles out of TX around 1.70 per mile b4 landstars 35% cut

WisconsinF150 and Steven Jones Thank this.
  4. VolvoTerry

VolvoTerry Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Based out of Omaha,NE
    I deadheaded to Laredo to load yesterday headed to PA for Wed morning. My take was 1.31 including fsc on all miles. That is above my operating cost (home + truck) so I chose to do it. Worked for me. But it was definitely looking rough down there.

WisconsinF150 Thanks this.
  5. Tom 7610

Tom 7610 Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2015
    Your running for $1.03 a mile plus fuel surcharge of .28. Terry tell me you secret !!!!!!!! I have never meet anyone that there costs for home, truck food, insurance and fee's at landstar and you can run for 1.03 a mile.

6. VolvoTerry

Sep 7, 2015
    Based out of Omaha,NE
    Actually I mistyped, was 1.35 for all miles. Like I said this worked for me. My operating costs including all truck related costs and money to the house, minimum savings/retirement etc are 1.06 based on 10k miles a month and a national fuel average of 2.51. In the spirit of full disclosure I have 3 streams of income. The other 2 net me an average of 2200.00 a month so some of my household expenses are covered by that revenue.

7. arata954

arata954 Light Load Member

Mar 23, 2010
    san antonio, tx
    Hey terry glad you pleased with landstar. Im still waiting on heartless to take me. Messila valley said they could get me there next week with no training refeesher needed. But idk what pay is. Granted im only doing it for 6 to 7 months to get recent experience.

8. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    ####, at $1.35 mi I'd be pissed !! I was doing that rate back in 2001 when fuel was dirt cheap.
    I generally average $2/mi or better on all miles and would like to get that up to the $2.50 area.
    TX and FL are two of the worst markets in the country to focus operations.
    Guys, you can do better, don't accept the old beat down excuses to haul cheap freight, it hurts everyone.

freightwipper Thanks this.
  9. MadMax17

MadMax17 Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Guys, I've been a company driver for about 5 years now. Sick of the politics & lower pay. Gonna buy a automatic Volvo & try to get on with Landstar (I like dry van, never done skateboards). I spoke with a recruiter today, he said I needed 1 FULL YEAR RECENT (3 yrs) VERIFIABLE EXPER. I only have 9 mos. with Crete within the last three years. The last two years have been TX. OIL driving big trucks in the patches... Recruiter says "they don't honor the patches experience". I've gotta go back & get the extra 3 mos. to make a full year... Can someone tell me if this guy is blowing smoke up my chimney or what???
    I've got decent credit & looking to buy the truck from "Arrow" Truck sales in Dallas. Anybody got a better source?
    Thanks in advance guys!

10. Coyote302

Coyote302 Light Load Member

May 9, 2014
    LA(lower Alabama)
    They are telling you the truth driver, I had 24 yrs in the first time I called, with the last 14 yrs in LTL line haul . I had to go back OTR for a year to meet their standards.

11. VolvoTerry

Sep 7, 2015
    Based out of Omaha,NE
    Not sure why you would be pissed, it served me well. I routinely use my trucking enterprise hand in hand with my other business ventures. There is better pay no doubt. This past week, and the next 2 are planned up at over 1.59 all miles and I am home each time i need to be even if I am deadheading in..(those miles are included in the equation) and making 3 other scheduled appearances!

Coyote302 and arata954 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.