Leak causing heath problems

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by TheSquatch, Jul 2, 2016.

1. TheSquatch

TheSquatch Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Utah
    My wife and I both drive and for the past 2 weeks we have both had a dry sore throat. At first we thought we were just sick but then we noticed when we got out of the truck for a day or so and then got back in the truck it would start again within one to three hours..

The only solution we have come up with so far is to keep our AC/Heater off in the front and back and keep all the windows open. If we do that we start to feel better after about 6 hours. I'm don't think it is an exhaust leak but I'm no mechanic. There is only a slight smell that I just barely noticed today that almost smells metallic and/or plastic or chemically.

I am putting my truck in the shop wail I have time off from the 4th to the 8th of July and need to know what to tell the mechanic's. If any one has any ideas or knows what the problem is I would be forever grateful for your help.

One final note. If we have the windows down and turn the AC/Heater on we start to get sick again.

Edit: Forgot to tell you my truck info. 2014 or 2015 not sure, manufactured on 07/14. Cascadia.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Put a carbon sensor in the truck

magoo68 Thanks this.
  4. TheSquatch

Aug 25, 2012
    Utah
    Good idea.

Another note. I was just walking around at the pickup location I'm at and could still smell the metallic and/or plastic or chemically smell so I'm guessing its not my truck that I'm smelling seeing that I only just noticed the smell today.

5. TheSquatch

Aug 25, 2012
    Utah
    Just remembered more.
    About 3 days ago I was driving and got really lightheaded to the point that I had to pullover for over an hour and walk around to recover and I felt like I couldn't catch my breath.

6. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sounds like it might be battery acid.

Check batteries to see if one is cracked or leaking.

7. The Big T

The Big T Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Possibly DEF fluid as well. Check thoroughly for exhaust leaks. Like every inch and connection.

8. TheSquatch

Aug 25, 2012
    Utah
    I'll have to
    All I can see is the tops of them and they look wet thought the battery box cover is inside is not wet.

I'll check that next chance I get.

I bought a carbon monoxide alarm and so far it says 0 CO.

magoo68 Thanks this.
  9. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    My t680 had a leak but only when dpf did a burn I never could smell anything I kept getting sick ... The shops kept saying no exhaust leak present after buying a carbon monoxide detector with a ppm memory I found out it would spike to 275 ppm .. So as a last resort cleaned dpf and put new gaskets now I feel fine .. I couldn't drive more than 4 hrs without having window open or I'd get same dizziness and after a while all I wanted to do was sleep .. Don't take chances with your life find the issue

10. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Also forgot to ask if you have a weed burner exhaust check vents on back of bunk the rubber deforms over time and can suck fumes and rain spray in .. I had a cascadia that kept corroding light cord plug on the inside those vents were letting water in

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  11. TheSquatch

Aug 25, 2012
    Utah
    I'm in luck then because I got one with a memory.

Not even sure what that is. I'm guessing its the two black vents on the back of the cab about 1/3 the way up?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.