Leaking Tank

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by AbbandonZK, Aug 28, 2016.

1. AbbandonZK

AbbandonZK Light Load Member

May 6, 2013
    This is my first tanker load at this company all you do is drive, and pumping and loading is handled by ship/con. There was no training whatsoever on the parts of the tank just some pictures giving a vague idea on how things where assembled. The road test was just driving in a circle no backing. I have no tools just a spilled kit and fuilds the previous driver left in the truck. They are promising to get me home within 2 weeks. So I can get the rest of my stuff.

Long story short I'm leaking from the dome and I have vegetable oil all in my trailer brake linings and a trail of oil. When I checked the black dome seal the first time evething looked fine. The screws were loose so I just tightened the screws and hoped for the best. I checked the tank everytime I stopped and the leak wouldn't go away.

Now I noticed this today.

image.jpeg

The company knows I'm leaking and they want me to go get washed then go to final and hope they take me. I'm headed to Cali so I know I have to get this dealt with before I go over the scale our prepass should just be called red light pass.

image.jpeg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I think this may be a good indication that you have picked a bad company to haul tanks with.

Sorry I can't help with the actual problem.

ChicagoJohn and crb Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    A leaking tank can be attacked with a bar of soap. But you must stop then and there wherever possible to get that leak fixed proper. Spills are a no no. You want to see 9 cops inside your tractor and jamming both doors to that cab? Leak on their scale.

I have a feeling like ChaoSS did you are not with a good tanker outfit for too many reasons or ideas to write here.

crb Thanks this.
  5. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Some states treat any spilled liquid as haz waste...NJ does and I'll bet Cali does too...

spill veg oil on the road and cause an accident making 4 wheelers slide around and the PoPo will take command of the mess...do you have an aversion to matching chrome bracelets?

Keep driving and you might find out.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I hear you on the leaks.

Ive run good tanks Lord knows I never leaked where it aint supposed to outside of the dairy and unloading place.

I understand about the leaks on public highways, the Police would sometimes arrest for that. I remember back home the stone hopper haulers would leak solid material when at a stop light through the clam shell bottoms. About a handful if that of some stone powder. Police sees that, pulls em over and a ticket. It's awful hard to keep those hopper bottoms shut tight.

I point again to the scales. Ive seen police rise up enraged that someone is leaking in and around their house and they are fixing to take care of that right quick.

7. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    Is it leaking from the dome lid and dripping out the overflow tube down the side? I would take a hammer and knock the dome locks tighter.

8. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    That might not do any good in this case. If you look at the picture of the dome lid he posted one side of the hinge has slipped out of its socket. My bet is the lid won't seat well on its gasket that way. I have seen some with some side to side movement that will leak if you don't get it centered with both pins in the socket. No way that's lined up right on the gasket. You can beat on the ears all you want and it will leak if the gasket isn't seated.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. AbbandonZK

AbbandonZK Light Load Member

May 6, 2013
    Thanks guys I got this fixed. One of the locking loops was proping the dome open.

image.jpeg

I'm shifting as lightly as possible but I guess our tanks just suck or something. Non of this was here when I picked up this tank. After what happened last time I'm completely paranoid.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    If the load doesn't have a seal on it, make sure it isn't pressurized, then open the dome lid and check the gasket. Make sure its seated against the lip of the manhole then tighten it back up like you would lug nuts on a tire working back and forth on opposite ears so you get equal pressure all around. Once you get it hand tight all around whack each ear a couple of time with a hammer so they don't turn by hand.

Flatbedder73 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. Flatbedder73

Flatbedder73 Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Langhorne, PA
    Good advice, driver.

wsyrob Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.