Lease new equipment vs Finance used

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by natanishe, Apr 30, 2016.

Lease new equipment vs finance used

1. Lease New

2. Finance Used

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. natanishe

natanishe Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Hi everyone,

I have a question. I have few a used trucks 2011 and up. In order to make decent money (based on my standards) few trucks is not enough with current rates. I been thinking to expand and purchase few more tractors, my question is it better to get brand new units and lease them? or finance 2011-2013 equipment. The lease deals I been getting are 2800-3300 per month seems like with these payment it would take good chuck of the profits aways. Than again you have a piece of mind that your equipment won't break (or brake not as often). What do you guys recommend or advice is it worth to lease brand new equipment of finance a used truck?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    First, expanding your operation to be more profitable is wrong when doing so due to low rates.5 times nothing is nothing, 100 times nothing is nothing Find better rates for what you do.
    Second, in most cases I have seen, leasing is not the way to go in your situation. Leasing is expensive for what you get, and purchasing at least builds equity.

natanishe Thanks this.
  4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    It depends.....can you do a $1 "buyout" at the end of the lease ? I would finance new myself, however I did lease my last truck with the $1 buyout. The advantage was I only needed the first month payment upfront as opposes to a large down pymt with a purchase.

Hype6477 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.