LEASE OWNER OPS

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Seng, Jul 11, 2015.

1. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    ever hear O/Os mention "say no to cheap freight"....

Well by lease drivers at a mega carrier working at a cheap rate it enables the carrier such as Swift to undercut the rest of us on loads.
    Thus drivers working for cheap hurts your own fellow drivers.. more so than a stupid joke or remark on the internet.

I've got something useful to say.. don't settle and work for cheap.
    Drivers have value and should demand to work at what they're worth.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spectacle13

spectacle13 Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2013

I know exactly what swift does. I come from a family of owner operators, one has hauled heavy for the better part of two decades. The other owns his own truck and pulls for a flatbed company.

Guess what though? You can't get your license the old way anymore, because if you do...you have to sit on your cdls for two years before you can even be put on the insurance. Megas have new drivers cornered into working for them until they have enough experience to go elsewhere, and I would much rather run my own lease truck than drive company and have no ability to choose when and where I run, have to ask permission to go home or where I can buy my fuel. Or have a camera shoved in my face next year. It's a hell of a lot better than running company, yeah...I take on some extra liability. But I can handle it, I know mechanical and I know trucks.

HousTank and freightwipper Thank this.
  4. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    200,000 miles a year!! Are you frickin kidding me? If I had to run that many miles to make any money, I'd just shoot myself. That's crazy!!

Blackshack46 Thanks this.
  5. spectacle13

Oct 19, 2013
    Where did I say I had to run that to make any money? Nowhere, I run that because I'm young, I don't have bills, I stay out 8 weeks or more at a time and I want to pay cash for a house and land in three years, and I will.

pumpkinhead Thanks this.
  6. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sounds like you're living in your house right now.

7. freightwipper

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    There's nothing with getting yourself started somewhere and working your way up.
    I had to start at .26 nearly a couple years ago and now am leasing a truck with a mega carrier myself.. I pick my own loads and am on % though.
    So I'm with you to an extent of the benefits vs being a company driver.

Personally I can't stand cheap rates or seeing when people drive at a cheap rate, it's a pet peeve of mine.

8. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

One day in the near future! I'm going to open a 5 star burger restaurant. Then I'm going to the McDonald's, Bk, and Wendy's to hire chefs. You know. Because they're good people trying to make living. Lol.

9. spectacle13

Oct 19, 2013
    But you started out hauling for less just like everyone else...I'm not sure I follow why it's ok to bash because you lease for (I'm guessing schneider).

The system is such that you all but have to start out at a mega to get your experience in... what bothers me is that it has become an industry-wide thing for older drivers to #### on newer drivers rather than offer help.

10. spectacle13

Oct 19, 2013
    Not sure I follow your passive aggressive line of reasoning here..... which part of the trucking industry exactly do you think is akin to a five star burger joint? Secondly, what is a better option?? No one but megas are going to shoulder the risk of hiring fresh cdls....insurance companies have made sure of that.

11. freightwipper

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Yeah I'm here.. leasing at a mega carrier myself.
    I just booked my monday a few hours ago, two short loads and I'll be at a little over 400 miles at a little over $2 all miles.

I'm just against moving loads for cheap that's all.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.