Lease purchase

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by josh connell, Jul 4, 2015.

1. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Yes I can be sarcastic! No, not a "glass half empty" type at all. "Realistic"? Yes, but not in this scenario. In this instance, I look at the whole picture with a bigger spread sheet than just 4 out of many thousands, as I referenced in your "research"!

Golden rule...do unto others...., says nothing about analysis based on optimism or pessimism.
    Reality based on partial facts? OK, that does seem to be the mantra of many today....media, politics, recruiters! Never once did I accuse of "lying".
    You missed the key element! Your "research" was (by your statement) based on 4 drivers settlements from 4 different companies. Did they also show you their spread sheets and bank statements? Probably not, this really wasn't your business to see their personal P&L figures...or for other reasons like you didn't want to bother with completing your "research".
    You betcha!

Run out of ammunition from your half full analysis?

Actually YES! Two completed and successful leases with Swift.....8 years BTW, completed both 1 year ahead of scheduled payments.......paid off our mortgage and left Swift with no debt. Took a look at what the industry was headed for and decided Swift put too much leverage on their L/O division and decided I wanted more home/quality time with family. Run the I-5 with a Los Angeles company that has me at least through the house every third day (or less)....
    So...(just a question, not an accusation)....why aren't you still leasing? I mean, since according to your "research"...it is still so lucrative!
    When does a "lease" garner title or ownership? If one is "leasing", then they are not "BUYING", they are technically "renting" through the term of the lease, then have an option to purchase (if the lease is truly a "lease/purchase"...which most aren't BTW!)...now IF one owns the truck and is "leased onto" a company, then ownership is with the "lessee", now the question comes to what amount of autonomy the lessee has with the company......but that is really just semantics isn't it....from this "half empty" point of view. BTW....I have a Bachelors Degree in Business Economics....so the "semantics" were never really an issue with me.
    Here is the real "rub" with the state of leasing in today's trucking world. The majority of the "drivers" assuming the "title" of L/O, don't have a clue about business, about the ups and downs of the industry, about the responsibilities of work, let alone go into the "deal" with a "PLAN" ....instead, they have merely the hyped up advertising and are being fed only the "half full" idealism of a lucrative future. Most have been "driving" for less than one year. Can anyone really understand the complexities and turmoils of this industry in that short an amount of time? I tend to think they can't. OTOH....some, a few, do, and yes they might succeed.

Found someone with legitimate counter arguments so you run away? Typical in today's society!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Yeah, your traditional numbers are way low from what I'm seeing...although my numbers are only coming from truckpaper for prices and guessing at interest rates.

Just my opinion...and there is a fair chance that I won't do a lease of any kind. IF you can sign the truck on with a reputable carrier and get decent rates, the numbers work. From everything I see, even with the mega carriers and their undesirable leases, the biggest problem I see is the low rates. If you are getting good rates, have a livable truck payment (lease or finance), manage your business correctly and put in the work, your chances of success are good.

Don't think for a minute that people with plenty of cash don't fail in this business as well. They buy a truck for cash, then get lazy because they don't have monthly obligations. They like chrome and gadgets too. Next thing you know, that paid for with cash truck has a major problem...or several in short order... and they are sitting too.

otherhalftw Thanks this.
  4. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    I agree...it can be done. I did it, and I'm nothing special or "advantaged"....I just had a realistic understanding of the industry and business savvy.

5. Doc W

Doc W Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Eastern Oklahoma
    Again... I'm done "proving" myself to you, or anyone like you. I owe you nothing, or any type of explanation(s). I will not spend as much time breaking down a message as some do to try to prove themselves right. I'm not a tit-for-tat type of person. You have no clue to the extent of my research, or what my life entails at present or my past. You are only assuming anything about me in EVERYTHING you stated. Let me use a statement you may understand.... "Nuff said"!

So... if you're needing affirmation... look somewhere else!

6. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    These figures are very close to what I had in the 90's (excepting the cost of the equipment...much lower)...but the majority of the L/P "plans" that these new "drivers" are buying into are the ones that have WEEKLY truck payments of 1200$+.....England, Prime, Covenant to name a few...and this is where the failure rate screams through the roof.

7. Doc W

Doc W Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Eastern Oklahoma
    Arky.... once again I agree. But what do I know... after all, I'm not currently leasing or an O/O, with all types of research blunders and half-thought out analysis' and such!!! :biggrin_25521::biggrin_2556::biggrin_2559::biggrin_25526:

8. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Here is how I see Lease opportunities. I'm going to use stupid exaggerations to prove my point. 2 options.
    Option #1: XYZ Co offers me a l/p. Monthly payment is 50 cents. Freight rate is $2 per mile, 2500 miles a week guaranteed. They pay all expenses and maintain the truck for another 50 cents/month.

Option #2: ZYX Co offers me a Lease. $5,000/mo, I'm on the hook for everything under the sun and have a $150000 balloon at the end of then lease. The freight pays 50 cents/mile all miles.

Obviously neither of those options are realistic. But some where between them is a business contract that works for all parties. If you can find the unicorn, you can succeed. If you find the turd, well, that's what you'll be eating for the foreseeable future. I will say that "most" l/p offers I have ever seen looked a lot like turds to me. But I have seen some that looked decent. There are quite a few people on this very forum who seem to be doing quite well with l/p. So I do believe that the l/p landscape has evolved, or at least begun to evolve into something where there are some opportunities for success.

Doc W Thanks this.
  9. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    I do have a big clue on the "extent" of your research...or at least the "verified" part of your research!
    So who is the one being snarky now? You don't have to "prove" yourself to me...not at all. But can you prove me wrong? Not likely!

10. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    Finally an honest, thought out statement!

11. Doc W

Doc W Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Eastern Oklahoma
    Snarky? Wow! That's the pot calling the kettle black!

Want another true statement???

Anyway... my last statement to you. All you are, are one of those who has to be right. One who gets their affirmation in life by degrading and using sarcastic hyperbole. One who, instead of decisively debating and using facts and logic, uses insults to prove points. One who, while may have 'been there, done that', likes to destroy a dream instead of seeing it from another person's eyes and giving advise and mentoring. One who is evidently the type out here on the CB who is a "CB Rambo" and blowhard!

Get over yourself OTTER... and a better pic for your avatar would possibly be...
    JACKASS_thumb2.jpg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.