Lease purchase

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by rcassidy, May 18, 2016.

1. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    I don't know about vans or ref, but a flatbed you better get 4 to go to Denver . Things could've changed I guess, I just have the one customer in Savannah area I just run that to carolinas and back for last 3 years

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    #### auto correct. Was trying to say OUT OF denver.

4. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    So you're saying things are exactly the same as they were 6 years ago? Nothing has changed?

Hmmmmm.....stand by, gotta think about that one.....

5. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Go over in the Schneider section, there are a lot of threads from people doing the Choice program, that are making a decent living.

But I guess they're all full of it, too.....

6. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I don't think any of them claim to be making more with a pumpkin lp than the good paying company driver postions. Remember we are not using the typical otr job as the benchmark.
    The benchmark is ltl (old dominion, estes for example) fuel delivery, food service, even the big grocery chain drivers.

7. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Isn't that subjective, though? Not all LTL drivers make top pay. What does the typical OTR job pay, then? $40,000? More? Less?

8. Newbeav Newbie

Newbeav Newbie Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Dude get a couple years experience, save some money and buy a truck.

9. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I don't know what a typical otr job pays. I've never tried to get a typical job cause I am not a typical dime a dozen driver. What i do know is what i would make. If i wanted to be an employee, i would be a top tier employee and will earn top tier wages. I live in the black hole of florida with ridiculously low wages and could have my choice of over a half dozen jobs running local. The lowest of them (estes) pay 60k, the best (frito lay) pay 85k to 90k. Plus full benefits such as health care, retirement, paid vacation, etc etc.

10. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    So if a lease driver is making a profit, what does it matter then, if they are happy with that profit?.
    Let's say the average wage for OTR drivers is $35,000. Let's say a certain lease driver is taking home $50,000. Just throwing numbers out there, I don't know the actual figures.
    So if the lease driver isn't taking home Teamster wages, or top tier company driver wages, then they are a failure?

There is something to be said for being able to go home when desired, pick which freight goes on the deck, or in the box, and run where you want, and avoid certain areas. Some thing most company drivers can't do.

Leasing a truck is a bad idea probably 95% of the time. But to say EVERY L/P is a bad idea is wrong.

over and out..............

RERM Thanks this.
  11. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    No I know you know a lot about freight rates.Now granted After I left crst 6 years ago and started running on my own.I was set up with kuboto now it has been 3 years since I've pulled anything for them.But they are what they are there all legal loads kuboto didn't make large tractors and they haven't payed well in many years. Kuboto sits the rate who ever covers the load first gets it, landstar, mercer, crst, Kaplan . I would like to know how well you think Schneider lease purchase guys are doing. Did they mention on that thread after 7 years of those 6&7hundred a week payments.They still have to come up with 25,000 to35,000 dollars to actually buy the truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.