Lease purchase

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by murat, Oct 21, 2016.

1. murat

murat Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2009
    nebraska
    I was just wondering is there anyone on here who has done a lease purchase contract with a company and now owns the truck and is doing well.I have never heard a success story even in the adds trying to promote one.I see the advertised rates these companies pay and think you would be better off to be a company driver.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Old_n_gray

Old_n_gray Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2016
    western pa
    Lets see, I get .60 cent per mile company driver and some lease guy/gal gets $1.00 a mile. Do you think it's worth it?

4. Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Really depends you're goals are.

As a company driver, you work FOR someone, which means less freedom in choice of loads, area, time off, etc. The upside is tremendous though as far as benefits. The company pays for EVERYTHING. Some also have pretty good benefits (vacation pay, holiday pay, medical insurance, etc.)

As a lease operator, you don't work for anyone as you are self employed. You contract your services to a company (usually the one you're leading the truck from). Being self employed means you are now responsible for your truck (fuel, maintenance, etc). You do have much more freedom in your work style however. There is no haggling about time off, what loads you haul, and doing what they demand.
    You don't have benefits that you would as a company driver.

Not all least programs are the same. Some cover all additional expenses such as tolls, lumpers, wash outs, pallets, scales, reefer fuel, IFTA taxes, and permits.

Can it be done? Absolutely! The biggest obstacle to overcome is the "company driver" mentality. You are now a business owner and must make decisions based upon what is best for your business. You note make all the decisions....routing, where to purchase fuel, where to get your truck worked on, etc.

There is definitely much more involved running your own business.

Best of luck to you.

driverdriver Thanks this.
  5. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Murat if keeping a truck is goal just really read the fine print. Or look into someone like Lone Mountain where the last note means title in the mail, and switching companies is a personal decision.. u always hear those stories that the megas will starve you once you get close to pay out... Or if you turn down 1 load lol... Just be careful is the old words of wisdom

driverdriver Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.