Leasing from Penske?

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Verdel, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Verdel

Verdel Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    I am running under my authority with my own truck. The truck is getting older and soon I have to decide to buy a new one. In the mean time can I lease a truck from Penske, to make up my mind. I have seen many companies running trucks from Penske or Ryder.

If I am running around 10k miles a month, what is better? To lease or rent?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Have you checked their prices..? Ryder is pretty expensive . So much a week and milage bla bla bla. I couldn't swing it.

4. bigred81

bigred81 Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Leasing is complicated, what's included, maintenance, repairs, tires, brakes, replacement if the truck is in the shop, wear and tear, etc.? A company I worked for leased everything from Ford vans to Freightliner road tractors from Penske. They were able to close their shop and free up capital, but what kind of deal they get versus what a trucker would get I can't speak to, but I was impressed with how well Penske maintained the trucks.

5. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    Huge difference in a company leasing 100 or even 10 trucks and you leasing one. I doubt you could afford to run a leased truck and make money.
    I have bought used Penske equipment and would do so again.

bigred81 Thanks this.
  6. Verdel

Verdel Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Penske is NO, NO. For 1 month rent of a sleeper truck, they want $4117 + $0.18 per mile. If I run 10k miles the bill will be to $5917. I will survive, but they will be making more money than my self.

bigred81 Thanks this.
  7. unloader

unloader Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Good lord! Talk about poking your eyes out on that one. That's insane.

unloader

8. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    wow.....................

9. markt1993

markt1993 Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Leasing is way cheaper than renting, almost 50% less. I have one tractor and two straight trucks leased through Penske. I was worried about the cost, but now I'm not sure if I'll buy another truck.
    On one hand it sucks because you always have a truck payment, but that's about the only negative I can think of. They take care of the taxes, IFTA, tags, free washes, they call or email me when they are due for PM's which are free. I don't pay for anything other than fuel. The tractor had Continental tire's, with about 10,000 miles they started causing a vibration, no questions asked they put a brand new full set of michelins on it. And then you get the 24 hour roadside for breakdowns, also free. Peace of mind is very nice.

10. bigred81

bigred81 Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Did you spec out your trucks or are they just the usual Penske ISX 450, 10 speed?

11. markt1993

markt1993 Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    It's a Freightliner, but I went in and sat with the guy and built it how I wanted. It was easy, just go through all the options and he could tell me what it cost.

Big Herb The Trucker and bigred81 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.