Leasing on with landstar, any advise?

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by Edgrmndz, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Edgrmndz

Edgrmndz Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2016
    I have seen some postings about working for landstar from about 7 years ago.
    can any one tell me how is it to work with landstar now a days.
    I am an owner operator with my own authority and would like to lease on with Landstar.
    is it best to use their trailers and their insurance?. I am making about $10,000 a month
    right now getting loads from loadboards but I am working from 5 to 11 just about everyday
    and its getting rougher to make that money due to brokers screwing the owner operators.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    :eek: Working everyday? I couldn't do that.

4. fireba11

fireba11 Heavy Load Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Tracy City, TN
    It is no easier being leased to Landstar! You still have to search for loads like you are doing now, no one dispatches you. I do get phone calls from agencies but not all the time and we do specialized work. I would say to keep your authority and run the Landstar approved carrier board, I know a few people who cancelled their leases with Landstar and got their own authority and are very happy doing that!

thejackal Thanks this.
  5. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    You'll do well here if you choose to come over. Being able to see the rates means you won't waste your time calling on crappy loads. When I dropped my authority in 09 and came here it was like being on vacation. Yes I would lease your trailer as well. That's 7-10% depending on the trailer you'd be losing, and if you're dry van, there are many horror stories about trailer availability. You can always reactivate authority when the market corrects. When you say your making 10k a month now, is that gross or net?

6. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    If that's gross he's pulling around $2500/week in total revenue. I wouldn't blame him for wanting to give up his authority for that.

fortycalglock Thanks this.
  7. Edgrmndz

Edgrmndz Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2016
    well its actually about 10k to 13k gross, depending on how lucky i get with good and bad loads.

8. Edgrmndz

Edgrmndz Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2016
    looking for loads is not a problem for me , i have been doing that for a couple of years, i work out of 3 load boards ( they all kind of post the same loads) and i do hundreds of call a month to get my loads, i am approved to run loads from Landstar but i am thinking those loads are the leftovers from another board?, i dont know.

9. fireba11

fireba11 Heavy Load Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Tracy City, TN
    Actually they aren't left over from another board......You basically have the same load board that BCO's do. That is one of our biggest gripes as we BCO's believe it should be posted at least 1/2 hr on our board before it goes to the approved carrier board but Landstar wont do it.

blairandgretchen and Edgrmndz Thank this.
  10. Dubtv

Dubtv Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2016
    I'm tiers of the agents posting #### on other load boards then getting on ls board 5 hours later saying we load Bcos first lol

thejackal Thanks this.
  11. Jasonsweet2602

Jasonsweet2602 Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2017
    I agree we are certainly doing better than that but feel we are only moving in baby steps. We have a big sleeper truck that we bought to move to landstar or aviation but after we purchased our truck and proceeded to do paperwork we were told that with out admission we can't move so we have 144 inch sleeper truck that we are beginning to hate cause our intention were to haul heavy haul and we can't where we are at

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.