Legal advice needed about medical card

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by Blackfly, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Blackfly

Blackfly Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2014
    The woods, Connecticut
    I have had a commercial license 39 years and driving tankers for two, with two two year cards issued by my state.
    When my last card expired, my Co sent me to their local Dr who refused me a card. Nothing has changed about my condition over the last six or more years, and the Dr refused to take into account my past two cards or my doctor's letters. What can I do ? My Co wants me to "appeal" to the FMCSA before they take me back, the process could take up to six months and leave me destitute and without a livelihood.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
  4. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    I'd go for a second opinion. If you are passed by that qualified doctor, and your company won't accept that, time to change jobs.

5. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    There was an interview just the other day on SiriusXM with a FMCSA official. Some similar question came up, and that official said to seek a second opinion and work from there. He said if the second one passes you, you'd be good to go.

6. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Yup. You ALWAYS have the right to a second, third, fourth, or however many opinions you wish to seek. As long as you answer any questions asked in the same manner, it is perfectly legal. What gets you into trouble is if doctor A asks "do you snore?" and you respond "loud and proud", and he decides you may have sleep apnea and wants you to do a sleep study...so when doctor B asks the same question you say "nope. Never snored a night in my life" in order to avoid the sleep study. THEN it might come back to bite you. As long as you're honest and consistent with your answers, you're entitled to see as many doctors as you choose to pay.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    how does one appeal to the FMCSA?

IF you don't have a condition that isn't listed on the no drive list where a waiver is needed, then I would just tell the company get another doc. Your previous cards are meaningless, they don't even consider them.

8. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
    If you work for a company that requires you to go to the company idiot for a physical, find a different company.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  9. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Exactly. Companies must not be too bad off if they are ok sending drivers to docs who pull this kind of stuff and sticking by them. If they won't accept a medical card from another doctor then it's time to move on, unfortunately.

10. Blackfly

Blackfly Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2014
    The woods, Connecticut
    Sorry, it's a meningioma, benign tumor outside the brain that grows very slowly (or not at all like mine for now). the book does say it can be disqualifying, but then I found a report online about a conference that took into account the many years of advances since it was written, it says it's OK if cleared by the treating neurologist. My company says that even if you get a card you have to "appeal " to the FMCSA to get it accepted, (repeated today by my boss when I went to clean out my truck), but I think that may just be their rule. So I'm contacting my CDL attorney.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.