Life on the road with a custom semi.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by LastBradTrucking, Oct 20, 2016.

1. LastBradTrucking

LastBradTrucking Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2016
    So I've been obsessed with traveling across the country nomad style for quite awhile, and I'm blessed to have enough financial resources to not really worry about a truck payment, the stock market has been amazing this year. I've just gotten my CDL permit and am about to go to school to get a good grip on driving. (something that comes up all the time on this forum I know)

I am just curious if anyone has any experience with custom sleepers like ARI or whatnot. I figure its smarter to find a used Freightliner or Kenworth already decked out with a long sleeper to purchase. I do get that they have many downsides, I'm sure parking at truckstops with an elongated sleeper and trailer would be a real pain and you cannot haul heavy loads.

My questions are what trucks do you think have the best driving cab since the sleeper wont be an issue, I really do love the newer Volvos but the concerns about how expensive maintenance is has me probably looking elsewhere.

Also If I just net 30ish thousand a year off trucking that's not a problem for me, Id like to just pay off all my insurance for the year using load boards and then using the load board to afford weeks off on blm land or a cruise every now and then while my other investments grow.

Also would I have issues with not being able to pick up some loads and what type of trailer would you think is best? From my research reefer is the most versatile and I'm considering projecting videos on to the side of the trailer when relaxing and not on the job. Has anyone had issues parking at blm land or at camps that allow large rv's?

Also is it feasible to be able to work 20 ish days out of the month and relax the rest of the month working just off the load board, knowing my truck payment will be managed by my other investments? I don't want to pull much if any out of my stocks and just forget about them ideally, probably put 30k in a money market account to have quick funds and spend/invest the remainder.

The plan for now however is get a OTR job for 6 ish months to see if the lifestyle is for me then looking to get a truck and one of the lightest greyhound reefers atleast that's my gameplan now. Thanks for any info

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Get a rv conversion. No sense you trying to live a dream that's actually all work just to have a big bunk largecar.

You work a truck or you have a lot of money to throw at a toy. No sense trying to make a hobby.

Be a nomad. Get a big bunk rv on a truck platform. Ride around. Have adventures.

4. 4wayflashers

4wayflashers Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Thing is if you want to run under your own authority without at least 2 years experience insurance will eat you alive. You could sign on to a company and finish training and then do a lease to own contract with them but you wont be driving a custom truck.

crb and LastBradTrucking Thank this.
  5. catalinaflyer

catalinaflyer Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Well first off pulling a reefer and a custom sleeper are almost mutually exclusive of each other unless you have some direct customer lined up with lighter than normal reefer loads. As for versatility, again a reefer may not be where it's at and for the most part refrigerated freight is the bottom of the barrel in rates, often times lower than dry van freight on the same lanes. You'd be money ahead to look at a lightweight flatbed with a rolling tarp system (often referred to as a Conestoga). Then you can work LTL freight which is what most of these guys with the big sleepers used to pay for those sleepers anyway. The other popular option is household moving but that doesn't align with what it sounds like your looking for and most certainly not something that can be done from load boards.

As for parking at BLM land and RV parks, not going to happen with a commercial truck and trailer. In fact almost all BLM land I know of is off limits to commercial vehicles. You have a DOT number on the side of the truck with an apportioned plate on the bumper and you will at the very least be shown the way out if not ticketed first. I drove a truck for 5 years with "Recreational Vehicle - Not For Hire" on it and I was not welcome at any of the places your referring to and you'll have to be displaying full credentials on the truck to legally haul anything.

I applaud your ambitions but I think you might want to look at doing some other kind of work and buying an RV. Buying a truck, any truck with the plan of using it as your source of revenue AND your RV is not a can of worms I'd want to open.

However if your insistent here's a truck that fits those desires but know for one like this your going to be in close to a half million dollars, certainly not a "part time working" rig. The men and women running these trucks have worked their way up to them and are not sitting on giant monthly payments. If you have the liquid cash then go for it. Personally if I had 1/2 mil liquid I would invest it, get a 9 to 5 and collect the dividends every year not drop it in a depreciating piece of equipment.

[​IMG]

Orangees, Terry270, Zeviander and 8 others Thank this.
  6. LastBradTrucking

Oct 20, 2016
    That was what I've dreamed about for about a year, getting exactly what you said, an RV conversion, however running the numbers its just not a great longterm investment If I was not earning money off the rig id have to dip into my funds and I could only make that last for 20 or so years, I'd rather watch it grow and earn my lifestyle.

I simply cannot afford to pull out 4-6k (truck+trailer or like you said rv payment) a month and not replenish it somehow or atleast pay for my insurance/food/runtimes

3ish thousand per month like what it would cost for a nice rv is doable but I'd be making nothing in return.

I'll work this cdl as a job and see if its for me its not something I plan on just foolishly jumping into, thanks for the input!

7. catalinaflyer

catalinaflyer Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Oh yeah, almost forgot, parking at a truckstop with one of these.......not going to happen. If you did manage to get into a spot you would be hit before morning guaranteed. Parking something this long in today's truckstops would get you more time at home waiting on body shop repairs while fighting with Swift, CRST, England and the rest to get the damages paid for than actually out earning a living.

8. LastBradTrucking

Oct 20, 2016
    Wow yeah I did not know that about BLM land it is really disappointing, the way you put it makes these custom sleepers nearly impossible to manage, sad to hear. Thanks for the great response I've got a lot to think about.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  9. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Hope you have lots of coin, no experience with the business is like swimming with sharks. First time you take one of these to Philly may God help you.
    IMG_4643.PNG

10. LastBradTrucking

Oct 20, 2016
    Also that truck is huge! I was looking more at around 120 inch sleeper, I've seen them around 170-200k used, would dyno it and make sure its not eating itself but yeah I did figure the truck stops could be a nightmare, but all that sweet sweet litigation? I kid, that's no fun. Yeah flatbed would probably be more rewarding as well.

Where would people with such large trucks park then? Also had not looked into LTL loads, tons of good info here, thanks!

11. 4wayflashers

4wayflashers Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Many times Ive passed state/national parks and thought how itd be great to take a 34 reset at a park. They aint going to allow it unfortunately. I have taken 10 hour breaks in rest areas that were as good as some of the parks. Mostly out west and they werent even crowded. Only way you are going to safely park a monster like in the photo at a truckstop is if you shut down early before the good spots get taken. Or drive at night.
    Getting started in trucking is definitely an adventure and you just might love the lifestyle. You are absolutely correct about not making a large investment and jumping into this industry without knowing what it can be like. Just enjoy the adventure without the worry of having tons of money tied to it. That way if its not for you, you can simply hand them back their keys and walk away.

LastBradTrucking Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.