Life on the road with a custom semi.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by LastBradTrucking, Oct 20, 2016.

1. 4wayflashers

4wayflashers Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2014
    A lot of megas/large trucking companies will lease you a truck. Make all the payments and at some point you can buy the truck. Being that you have the resources to cover bad weeks and unexpected costs, this may be a decent option. Some companies have better contracts than others, you will be dispatched by them. You wont be allowed to alter the truck much until you fully own it. As an o/o you can take as much hometime as you want. Once you own the truck you can have someone else drive it. By then you will have some years in and can then consider buying a rolling condo and do whatever you want with it. I met a guy, a fairly new driver, less than a year, who had three trucks leased. He drove one and had trainers drive the others. Make sure you have a lawyer read over the contract. If they dont allow that, walk away.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    I donno Old Man, those Peace Love & Crab wagons aren't cheap nowadays. And hard to find too!

4. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Joe can I get one of those on a 244" WB frame? That would be Styling in front of my trailer

5. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Not putting you down here: this isn't your area of expertise or field- it's your dream. Any and all of the potential situations you've suggested are unrealistic.
    Trucking isn't a part time gig when you own the truck.

If you want to be a nomad, you don't need a truck. That ties you to work, it ties you to big bills, it ties you to a piece of equipment: a "thing".

Get a cheap set of wheels and go. When it's whooped: leave it where it sets and move on.

Lotta people dream of trucking. 6 months in, the dream they had for years is something they aren't passionate about. Better than 100% turnover rate in this industry every year.

It's not mostly seeing beautiful places and enjoying life, visiting old friends.
    There will be moments like that.
    It is mostly long days of extremely limited social contact, in places that for all intents and purposes may as well be the same place. Highway, large warehouse, small business, graffiti, train tracks, filth, cars, truckstop, public bathroom, repeat.

It's fine to dream, but you want to know the reality of that dream before you go planning on living it.

Get your license. Drive a truck. See if your passion changes. If not, you'll have seen things that will have taught you enough to know whether you want to follow one of your suggested plans or not.

Good luck.

6. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    "I'm considering projecting videos on to the side of the trailer when relaxing and not on the job."

LMAO ----> You mean old style park movie theaters? Will you let me watch too?

7. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    That will be nice with a reefer parked 3 foot away and the smell of exhaust , pee and popcorn or you could park next to a cow wagon and set the atmosphere for a good western.

8. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Maybe it would be at the house- could pee on the fire for some truck stop atmosphere

9. rasymacmac21

rasymacmac21 Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2009
    East of the Mississippi.
    Most that have these large toys either do specialized open deck or reefer ltl. Pays better than the norm. Maybe someday I'll dream of buying one at toys r us.

10. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Not always the case. Those $14k trucks are often paid off and owned by guys wise enough to do there homework and start small. I see a lot of lease purchase guys running around with brand new trucks for .97/mile even pulling tanks.

ramblingman Thanks this.
  11. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    Hafta admire those who pull freight with a gigantic truck like those posted.

Soltaker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.