Logging local question

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by macavoy, Apr 29, 2016.

1. macavoy

macavoy Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    I am a local driver, we don't log because we use time sheets and daily vehicle inspection reports. I have to go out of town today so I need to log.

Do I need to log my last 7 days or can I say local driver last 7 days?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    Whether you have to log depends on how far out of town you are going. You don't don't need last 7 days logged per say. If you can get a copy of your time sheet for the previous 7 that wouldn't hurt.

4. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    When I used to do that, I'd cheat and show one page as off-duty for the 7 days prior. I'd be too paranoid to do that these days, though. What I'd do is draw one page with your rough start/end times shown as on-duty, saying local driver and the date range of your last week worked, then one page for your last days off. The proper way would be to draw out an individual page for each day worked, though. Do that if you want to be extra safe.

5. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Also: one local company I worked for had me doing a mix of in-town days and days with longer, over 100 miles out days. The way we were told to log the in-town days (which the safety man supposedly verified was okay with the DOT) was to draw an off-duty line up to the start time, show 15 minutes on-duty for a pretrip, then draw a line up to the driving line. Then we wouldn't touch it all day (imagine all the mess if you logged a hectic local day shuttling trailers all over the place as it actually happened). At the end of the day, if I drove 100 miles for instance, I'd show driving 2 hours straight on line 3 and then the balance of my hours worked would be on line 4. That was supposedly kosher for the DOT, and also kept us current for the past 7 days in case we had to do a long, out-of-town run, in which case we would log our day as it actually happened.

6. kimbosa

kimbosa Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2011
    lufkin texas
    No you don't but u must carry a time sheet from your company. Sometime i run a road run on Saturday's and i have to get my times of the last five days.

7. macavoy

macavoy Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    I get paid hourly so I decided to sit and do 7 days worth. Thanks for the info guys.

MidWester Thanks this.
  8. MidWester

MidWester Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Good Idea! Might as well be over prepared.

macavoy Thanks this.
  9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    According to the regulatory guidance found on the FMCSA's own website, you are not required to carry any documentation that you are a local driver operating under the 100-air-mile exception. On days where you do not meet the requisites for claiming that exception, you are only required to fill out a RODS for that day...NOT the previous 7, and not the next 7...ONLY the days you fail to qualify for the exception.

As for using the RODS as a time sheet, you only need show the required information. Name. Date. Start time. End time. Total # of hours worked. You'd do this by dropping to line 4 when you start, and back to line 1 when you finish...and totalling the hours. You don't need to show ANY time on line 3...in fact doing so could be problematic if you worked a 12 hour day and showed it in its entirety (minus a 15 minute pretrip or post trip) on line 3 you would have exceeded the allowed 11 hour max drive time. Just because you aren't required to show each change of duty status doesn't mean the HOS don't apply. Show your work day on line 4 from start to end, so long as you stay inside the 100-air-mile radius and don't work past the 12th hour.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.