Long Time Trucker First time problem.

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Keith Petrella, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Keith Petrella

Keith Petrella Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2015
    Stroudsburg, PA
    Ok I have an issue that I never ran into before.
    2016 Freightliner Cascadia Day Cab. it is only 2 weeks old.

I am running a Cobra 29 Harley Edition Radio That DTB in Carlisle, Pa has made sure that it was good.
    I am using 18' of Wilson Coax
    Mirror Mount (Made by Wilson)
    Wilson T-2000 Antenna.

Here is where the issue lies. I can not get the SWR down below 2.5 All equipment used is Brand new and swapped back and forth with different coax and different antenna used multiple meters to check SWR.
    A ground is run from the frame to the mount. I have a ground every where I check. if I have the door cracked just so it rests against the hook not closed but not open just pushed shut. My SWR will remain at 1.4. the minute that I close the door the SWR proceed to go back up. if I open the door they go up. But I can not leave the door unlatched while driving down the road. And the COAX is NOT run thru the door. it is run through the firewall. I have spent approximately 30 total hours hooking things back up and trying different things. and have now exhausted every avenue of my limited knowledge with no success. I can receive a lot but I can not transmit more than two miles without my transmission ending dead. I have for 20 years used the Wilson antenna line with not one issue on getting the SWR set to where I needed. But now at this point I am out of time and options. Can someone please help as I am at my witts end.
    No I can not take the truck to a cb shop as I do not own the truck and I never run by a trusted CB shop and I am paid hourly so when I am in the truck I am getting paid. So I can not stop while in the truck. All my testing has been done in the yard on my own time.
    No I can not drill anything as it is a leased truck and my boss would flip. It is his equipment
    And during testing. I took a Wilson magnet mount antenna placed it on the frame behind the catwalk. the SWR were at 1.2 with a magnet mount placed on the rear frame. Which since I haul a trailer that sure wont work it was just a test to see if the SWR would be low Behind the cab with a magnet mount on the frame.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Neverready

Neverready Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Pocomoke City, Md.
    Check the thread "Cascadia Antenna Solutions" And Fiberglass cab solutions.

4. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Go to Napa and get a bunch of those braided copper ground straps. Make sure there is a path from your mount all the way to the frame of the truck.
    Sometimes, the mirror arm and/or the door have a lousy ground from the factory. Also, is your excess coax coiled up? If so, it can create an RF choke. The best way is to roll it into a figure 8 - just coil it in an oval shape, then twist one end (so that it looks like an infinity symbol) and secure with zip ties.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  5. Keith Petrella

Nov 14, 2015
    Stroudsburg, PA
    I have a ground strap run directly from the base of the mount directly to a clean spot on the frame and I get a continuous ground running directly from the mount to the frame and if I check the ground it all appears to be continuous.

6. Xcis

Xcis Medium Load Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Bridgeport, Pa
    When you run a ground strap from the antenna mount directly to the frame, it may act like a second antenna.
    .What you want to do is call bonding. This is NOT electrical grounding. It does not have anything to do with the electrical system. The idea is to interconnect the large metal components of the vehicle into one large antenna ground plane for RF [radio frequency] purposes. While ground straps are used, you want to keep their lengths short.
    .Therefore you connect a ground strap from the antenna mount to the door. Then another ground strap attaches to the bolt that connects the door to the door hinge. The other side of the ground strap attaches to the bolt that connects the hinge to the cab frame. Finally, connect a ground strap from the cab frame to the truck frame. This is how you interconnect the large metal components into one large antenna ground plane. Going frome the antenna mount to the frame does not accomplish this.

handlebar, RockinChair and mike5511 Thank this.
  7. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    freight shakers and wilson antenna don't work well together at all. Look for the lthread and how to set up a great antenna for a freight shaker

8. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
  9. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    That 18 foot of cable is giving your SWR meter a false reading and you are unable to get an accurate reading with that length of cable unless you are using an antenna analyzer. SWR meters simply tell you how close you are to 50 ohms and that extra quarter wave of cable is acting as an impedance transformer.

Blaskowitz Thanks this.
  10. Keith Petrella

Nov 14, 2015
    Stroudsburg, PA
    I have now used shorter coax, different mirror mounts, ran the step ground per say from mount to hinge then other side of hinge to metal and so on, I also have tried multiple antenna right down to a 6' shipshooter. And i have attempted different combinations of each. Nothing has worked. I did for the time being find the issue with the two dual upper antenna. Freightliner had the radio and cb inputs reversed on the box behind the instrument cluster. So at least with those two for now I was able to get a setting of 1=1.9 20=1.4 40=1.2 those are the best results that I can achieve with the dual system after painstakingly tuning the antenna. Now I am still trying to find the major issue with the mirror mounts.

11. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    The 6', (7' or 5' is all I thought they made) should have been fine on 19. Did you remove the stock antenna on that side before checking it? I've seen several Cascadia's with near perfect SWR readings on the stock system that won't talk over 1 mile. Someone posted somewhere on here that behind the left side kick panel is enough coax from the left antenna to by-pass all the junctions boxes....I meant to save that when I read it but forgot.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.