looking at a used pete 335 straight truck

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by willeo6709, Mar 27, 2016.

1. willeo6709

willeo6709 Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2015
    I found a local dealer that has a rather nice looking 2006 Pete 335 280k miles /c-7/allison/ air ride/ air brake 24' dry van straight truck. I went there and drove it....... They are figuring difference as I am looking to trade my current truck. Currently I have an IH 2004 4300, dt466 allison,spring suspension hydraulic brakes 26' box. Its got 330k miles on it...... rides rough as a saddle bronc at times. Its got a fairly low box on it..... it does the job but its only an inch or 2 over the forklift mast where the pete's box is a foot tallet, closer to "full" height.
    In the test drive things I noticed things: 1. The air ride seat was awesome, like sitting in a stationary couch or driving a minivan. 2. The pedal layout of the gas and brake are going to take some getting used to. I was having trouble feeling when I was off one and on the other. 3. for an empty truck the power felt really good. 4. It was WAYYYY quieter at speed than the IH. The IH has a lot of cab wind noise.
    C-7's seem to be love hate, and I am looking for wisdom from those that have them. The IH is getting about 7 mpg ( make about 3-4 60 mile round trip runs a week in mostly 2 lane highway situations). Will the taller box have a significant effect on economy? How are the c-7's loaded? The IH with about 6000 lbs cargo has a hard time maintaining 55 on the hills. One in particular I can hit the bottom at 70 and be about 54 on top. Its 195 hp compared to 250 in the pete. I don't know how much is transmission and how much is engine loosing speed.
    The pete seems like a real nice rig but trying to learn from others. Anybody out there have a 2006 335?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. willeo6709

willeo6709 Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2015
    either noone has anything good to say about a c-7 in a 335 or they only made 3 of these things one of which I must be looking at...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.