Looking for a good way to mount a 2M 440 Ant on truck

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by W6CSA, Aug 15, 2015.

1. W6CSA

W6CSA Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2015
    Hey y'all

After 9 years of not driving I have decided to get back behind the wheel. I am going to be driving for a rookie company (no jokes please hihi) and I was wondering two things.

First off how I can mount a decent 2M 440 antenna on a truck and what kind of HF antenna should I use?

Currently I am bringing my Alinco DR 635 and a dual band mag mount antenna. I know this is going to suck for awhile but until I can figure out something better I guess I am kinda stuck for the moment.

Thanks
    W6CSA

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gascanexplode

gascanexplode Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    That is going to depend on what type of truck you will be driving. If its an older style truck with metal mirror mounts than you can just use any bracket antenna mount. If your In a Cascadia you will have to buy a Wilson antenna mount bracket and probably run a ground wire from the antenna base to the frame or body of the truck. Also Tuning SWRs on Cascadias can be tough because the antennas are so close to the truck body. You usually end up with a compromise of tilting the antenna forward about 10 or 20 degrees to get your swrs down. Its not optimal considering 50% of your transmission is now aimed at the pavement, but its as good as it gets in a cascadia.

4. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Build your own mounting bracket and build your own antenna

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I have a Larsen NMO2/70B, I had made a mount for it, put it on the mirror and it worked really well, no BS about it. I lost the mount somewhere but it is a Moto mount antenna and easy to fab one up.

As far as for HF, I can't pull up book marks right now but there is a site that explains a lot for trucks and ham.

6. Neverready

Neverready Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Pocomoke City, Md.
    I used a no ground plane 1/2 wave mobile 2 meter single band.( can't remember brand) and Wilson mount on my Cascadia . It does fair tried several regular 5/8 wave 2 meters mobile antennas but couldn't get the swr down. I don't think it performs as well has the 5/8 wave I used years ago on a couple of W900's but the mounting location on the cascadia works against it also. On the W900's I used single band HF antennas with quick disconnects for when I wanted to change bands and a autotuner.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  7. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    I use that antenna too. I used a thick mount NMO base in my RH mirror mount (T-600). I had to ream the hole out a little bigger to fit the NMO mount. Works excellent.

8. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

I used a Comet hatchback mount on the lip on the top of the passenger door, and used a 1/4 wave 2m spring whip. Works fine on 440. It's what I had in the garage...

9. L.B.

L.B. Third Generation Truck Driver

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    I found an NMO mirror mount (looks like a mirror mount CB bracket but comes with an NMO base) with cable on amazon and a Tram NMO dual band 18" whip for under $30 for both pieces on amazon.

Before that I had a Firestick 4' 2 meter only antenna that used a standard CB 3/8" mount and it worked great but it was just 2 meter.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.