Looking for advice to get started

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Prodirt6000, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Prodirt6000

Prodirt6000 Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2015
    Hello I am in my mid 20's looking to get an older truck and start hauling locally. I have my eye on a clean older international day cab. I am in the north east where there is alot of agriculture and construction. We have custom harvesters that hire truck driver owner operators to haul feed. Alot of guys have 10 wheelers, but its getting more common for guys to have tractor trailers to switch to haul feed then hook on to manure tankers.

My experience is driving in the midwest hauling hopper bottoms and some oversize loads. I also do plenty of 10 wheeler trucking on the farm I am on, but not enough to make me happy. I am unsure of how to pick up work. I would want to pick up that truck and find an end dump. The ag stuff here I'm sure is competitive since farmers are loyal to who they hire. There is tons of work summer/fall, but no work in winter.

We have guys here that haul wood chips to plants for electricity. Lots of construction hauling dirt and gravel. I guess I am just unsure how to find work. I have a good job good benefits, but dont like working for someone else and want to truck more. I have never had a loan, always paid cash for things I own. Always had a steady paycheck. so the thought of jumping in being in dept freaks me out and not knowing what my cash flow is. This would be an adjustment for me, but I think I would be happier.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Why not work for co-op in your area, and try to find out more about other areas. Don't buy until you are confident you can find freight to keep you going. Company driving isn't a bad deal, at least you're not the one shelling out 25k when the engine blows apart.

4. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Sounds like whatever you decide you will make it. Maybe you can hire on with someone local to get a feel for things. But be upfront about wanting to do your own thing one day, however.

5. Prodirt6000

Prodirt6000 Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2015
    I just thought of something else too.

When we are in the fields we always have to hire more truck and manure equipment to help us out. We have one 10 wheeler but need 2-3 at a time. Is there a way I could word it correctly to maybe buy a truck and trailer with my current employeer, have them pay me half of what they would pay someone to come in since they own half of it. We have a good working and non working relationship. I have been with them for 5 years.

I know in the past they had a full time employee that had his own tractor and they did something similar with him. Then we could get more business working with other farmers in the area.

Does this sound doable or am I dreaming? This way I could keep a paycheck and benefits and own a truck and maybe to on my own later on

6. 59MackB61

59MackB61 Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Don't do it for less than he would pay someone else. If you are serious save your money buy something you can afford and leave on good terms.

Life is about embracing change and risk. Actually put a plan on paper with your goals and where you want to be 1 month 6 months 1 year 3 years etc. Then work towards your goal, meet people who are owners and do the job you want and ask questions. Before long you will be able to have your own truck or if you don't embrace change and risk will be working for the same guy

Civilservant and Prodirt6000 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.