Looking for some info on training..

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Pells, May 28, 2016.

1. Pells

Pells Bobtail Member

May 28, 2016
    Hey, I guess I should start with a little about myself. I am 24, currently unemployed in NS Canada and am contemplating a few careers. I have never owned my own car, and am only getting the N(2 year New Driver) off my licence this coming October. I don't have much driving experience, none with driving a standard to be honest.. but I absolutely love the idea of driving for a living. I thought about being a taxi driver and delivery driver, but I would rather not deal with the public that frequently haha.

So I'm looking into becoming a long-haul driver. I really think I have what it takes... I don't mind (prefer actually) being on my own most of the time, and over the last 5+ years have built a hate of having a boss over my shoulder. The more I read online blogs/ articles, the more I see that this is actually a very in demand job that can be very rewarding. I'd like to get started on this process as soon as I get the "N" off my licence in October, and this is the first place I'm coming for help. I guess I'll just rattle off some of the questions I have here in hopes a kind soul will come along and give me some answers.

-Can you become a long-haul driver as your first job, or does one have to start as a more local driver first?

-Is 11,000 dollars a lot for a 12 week course consisting of 8 weeks training and 4 weeks internship? This place seems to be the only viable option around where I live, and seems like a legit school... here's a link to their website if you wanna take a look, http://safetycollege.ca/programs/tractor-trailer

-Would someone with limited driving experience (0 experience driving standard) stand a chance in learning everything needed in the 12 week course? I consider myself a pretty fast learner and a very hard worker, but I also understand a lot of new drivers struggle in this profession.

-This one might seem a bit stupid, but I gotta ask... Will my small little hands cause any significant problems in operating a big rig? I mean a lot of girls my same age have bigger hands than I do. I dont know why but It seems like they just stopped growing at like age 15 while the rest of my body grew normally. My hand only measures 7 inches from the bottom of my palm to the tip of my middle finger, however this hasn't stopped me from working in heavy labour trades over the last years.

If you got through my wall of text I really appreciate it, and any advice you might have!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    Don't even bother.

Go to school and get into IT or something.

Trucking in Canada is dead thanks to the LMO program.

4. Pells

Pells Bobtail Member

May 28, 2016
    Interesting, from what I've briefly read online it looks like the industry is in dire need of young people to join the work force...

A quick google search led me to see the LMO is some sort of immigrant work program if I'm correct... are people coming in from other countries and taking all the jobs or something?

5. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    Yes they are coming in and working for peanuts.

6. Pells

Pells Bobtail Member

May 28, 2016
    Well this is kinda ####ty to hear...

So when I read that experienced long haul drivers can make 50k+ a year, that's not true for the future? And jobs will be hard to come by?

7. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    The industry has changed.. And for the worse. You will be spending a ton of money( too much) to get your cdl, you get it, and you have zero experience. Anyone who hires you is going to pay you SFA, and use and abuse you.

Why not get your beginners, and try to get some road experience with someone? See if you like it before dumping big money into a school?

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'm not a full time driver so I can't say much about the industry itself apart from things being fairly slow out West at the moment. I have gone through driver training and have a little bit of experience under my belt though.

I took my driver training in Alberta about 5 years ago through the local college and it was about $5k for 40 hours including truck rental and all associated fees. $11k for 12 weeks sounds like a better deal than I got. Seems like the training aspect is strictly to get you to pass the government roadtest (which is basically a casual drive through town with a 90 degree back up and a hill park) but there is much more to learn. HoS, load securement, etc. Critical thinking and problem solving skills are essential as well.

9. Pells

Pells Bobtail Member

May 28, 2016
    Thanks for the info and advice...

On one hand, I don't really want to take the advice of a few random guys on the internet about whether or not to go through with this...

But on the other hand I also can't really trust any companies I contact as they probably will have no problem lieing to me about job opportunities and wages/ etc...

Still looking for as much info as I can and I really appreciate anyone who chimes in!

10. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    Let me be blunt. I would never hire you with no experience. The rate of pay that we have which is Union Scale says that I will only hire experienced drivers. At the rate we pay I don't have any problems getting them. There is no driver shortage, just a shortage of paying driving jobs. I've hired guys with as much as 35 - 40 years experience 4 years ago and they are still with us.

BoxCarKidd, upnorthwpg and AModelCat Thank this.
  11. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia

If only all employers thought this way, instead of trying to save a few bucks by hiring some immigrant for .35/mile.

upnorthwpg and AModelCat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.