looking @ new tires

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TruckerPete1990, May 30, 2015.

1. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Well I'm looking at new tires... I got about 9/32 left one these. I'm thinking of super singles.

My two tires I'm looking @ is
    Yokohama my507 With rolling resistance of 90 $693 each.

Michelin x1d89 which I think is xda2. 99 rolling resistance. $878 a tire.

I'm sure I can get Michelin to cut me a better deal. What are you all running n what's the best?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    I didn't realize the Yokohamas were that low RR. Great price too -- what is the tread depth?

If you act fast, there is someone on the facebook 9+ mpg club offering a straight trade to go back to duals...

The michelin line energy D's are what I run. 89 rolling resistance, 24/32 tread depth, but they are $1100 new (I bought mine used). You may have run on them while at Con-way. Not great in snow & they are more prone to stone drilling than most, but they roll great:

20150530_073431.png

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  4. TruckerPete1990

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    YOKOHAMA is 23 deep.
    but im looking more @ X line energy D as its only 89 if i stay with duels. Thats at 23/32
    Thats my prob i dont wanna be like it was @ conway with the super singles lol getting stuck on stupid stuff. With just starting up too i think i could save money what ever way i go with new tires i got firestones on now. Maybe ill stay with duels and switch over next time when money isn't so tight. I still wanna get a OPS system on this truck.

5. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    you may have a long time to decide. Some tires wear like iron the less tread they have and that is also the best RR, fuel mileage tire you will ever have on your truck. One with less than 5/32 tread. I wouldn't be surprised if you could go til fall 2016 on those.

TruckerPete1990 and oicu812 Thank this.
  6. TruckerPete1990

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    im like scared that they are gonna go lol i guess cuz its my first truck and don't wanna have to pay that bill xD

7. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Michelin has 4 drive tires ranked 1-4 1 having the lowest rolling resistance
    Michelin X line energy D is number 1.... thats what i have
    Michelin XDN2 is number 3
    when i changed from the XDN2's to the energy D my MPG went up .5 MPG
    the company i'm leased to gives me a discount... (National account) 8 drivers was $3,200, thats $400 each out the door

8. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    DY, do you have numbers as far as fuel mileage goes comparing super singles to duals? Or anyone else for that matter?

9. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    So is that how they get these claimed low rolling resistance numbers, by making a tire with less tread depth? And charging the same or more than a higher rr/depth tire?

10. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Careful, the Xone line energy d (wide single) is 89. The x line energy d (dual) is 109.
    Con-way had Tag axles though, so they were the worst-case scenario. At con-way I remember occasionally having to lock the drive and dump air to the tag to slide tandems. On dry concrete...

I haven't had that problem with singles + twin screw. But I've spun the tires a couple times on a wet onramp...

My advice: save money now. Don't "throw your tires into the ditch" until you have a good feel for your truck's reliability and have built up a good cushion. Fuel is still pretty cheap right now, the payoff just isn't that big (and may not be there at all if you have to buy wheels too).

Unfortunately, when I converted I wound up moving my 75% lugged drive tires to my trailer, replacing 2/32 trailer rubber (about as low RR as it gets). So I did not see an improvement and may have even seen a slight decline. Once I replaced the trailer (new one came with low rr tires), my mpg immediately shot up 10%.

Unfortunately part of that was from the side skirts, so I just have no good data.

I do believe Michelin's RR calculator to be reasonably accurate though.

Low tread is definitely part of it. Casings, compounds, & tread design are also very important.

If a 32/32" tire has a RR of 100, that exact same tire at 6/32" would have a RR of ~80. That same tire at 24/32" would have a RR of ~93.

With DOT-legal race tires, people often have their tires "shaved" to become full slicks. Better grip (in the dry) and less rolling resistance... I imagine we'll see tire shaving more and more with hyper-miling semis in the next 10 years.

Take that hypothetical 32/32 100 RR tire. Shave it to 24/32 and increase fuel mileage by ~7% while decreasing tire life by ~27%. If fuel costs 50cpm and tires cost 5cpm on 32/32" tires -- 55cpm total, your cost on 24/32 tires would be 46.5cpm fuel & 6.4cpm tires -- 52.9cpm total (plus whatever tire shaving cost -- currently ~$15/ tire for car tires).

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  11. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    we have one trailer with super singles no tractors
    the driver with that trailer makes same run i do and gets .2-.3 mpg
    better then me but is also willing to drive slower to get it
    he also replaces trailer tires sooner then me so I don't see the gain
    owner hasn't bought any more SS and we all have new tractors

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.