Looking to buy a Galaxy DX 979

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by dyingtolive, Oct 26, 2011.

1. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Neither one of my Galaxys drift bad on SSB. My 88 especially. They are not the radio on SSB my HR2510 was, but they work good for what I need. (I don't do a whole lot of sideband anymore....just occasionally.)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Gloucester City, NJ

Are you saying this based on actual experience or from what you've read on the net? I have many Galaxy radios. After 10-minutes of warmup, they are very stable on SSB, every single one of them.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  4. this_is_nascar

Jun 25, 2008
    Gloucester City, NJ

Thanks you. I really thought I was the only operator left on the 11-meter band that thought this way.

5. Rat

Rat Road Train Member

I won't even answer back to a station that has roger beep, eco, reverb etc.

Ougigoug and darthanubis Thank this.
  6. dyingtolive

dyingtolive Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2011
    McDonough, GA
    Now, I do find all that echo, reverb and those stupid noise toys to be pretty annoying. But I figured a switched roger beeb would actually have a purpose. Ha. I suppose not so much.

7. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I don't like a lot of echo or reverb either, and will ask someone to turn it down if they want to talk to me for more than a quick response. But, just a slight touch of it sounds O.K. to me. I'm talking an amount where it doesn't over power your audio. (that is where I set mine) An amount that most people new to radio might not even notice. It is said to give your audio a little more punch. It seems like nobody knows how to adjust it correctly anymore.

I detest roger beeps as well, along with the robot and voice changer functions on the upper end Galaxys.

My understanding of the "roger beep" is it does have a purpose when talking on sideband, more so if its long distance. Watch your needle when transmitting on SSB and you will quickly figure this out. That said, I still don't care for them. I didn't use to mind them when used correctly, but I think the incessant use of them, inappropriately so on AM, has caused me to come to my present opinion of them.

8. MassHole

MassHole Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2010
    wareham, mass
    for what reason would you want a roger beep for? Im just curious if there is a particular reason or if its just something you've wanted or heard and wanted. Just say 10-4, 10 roger, or 10 rojo as a buddy of mine says. I for one disagree and don't care much for them.

9. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    If your looking for a good radio with a little umph to look at the new magnum raptor, there is no SSB, but have great power, transmit and recieves very well, loud and clear, if set up right, A lot Of people will say "It's not a 10 meter, But I dont care about that, It will do a 100 watts, with out haveing to buy anything extra, great radio for the money

10. dyingtolive

dyingtolive Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2011
    McDonough, GA
    I figured a roger beep would come in handy when talking long distance. But if there's a delay that comes along with it, then I don't want it.

The SSB is one of the main reasons that I'm looking at the Galaxy 979. I don't need a 10 meter radio, and if I didn't want/need SSB, I'd just stick with my Cobra 29 LX, do some mods and run a linear.

11. this_is_nascar

Jun 25, 2008
    Gloucester City, NJ
    Yea, I think Magnum screwed-up by not putting SSB in this Raptor. Otherwise a nice looking radio, but if it doesn't come with SSB, I won't own one.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.