Looking to buy an older truck

Discussion in 'Trucker Forum Classifieds & Trading Post' started by wvboy90, Sep 28, 2016.

1. wvboy90

wvboy90 Bobtail Member

May 23, 2014
    I know this is a far out question but it can't hurt to ask, but I'm looking to buy a truck preferably a 90's model. The problem is no one will finance an older truck unless I want to pay a ridiculous percentage rate. I'm currently leasing a 2013 freightliner at $390 a week and having no problem with making that (I have proof) except for it has all the emissions on it and I keep having problems out of it, as you can probably guess. Anyway I'm looking to see if there are any O.O.'s that are looking to sell their truck and that would deal in payments. I live in western W.V. not far from Huntington and I run a flatbed mainly close to home (very rarely over 500 miles out). I know that's a lot of asking in today's world but I am an old soul that wishes we could go back to dealing with a hand shake being as good as set in stone. For the books the current lease that I am in is a walk away lease if I bring on my own truck to the company. Thank you for reading this long post.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
  4. wvboy90

wvboy90 Bobtail Member

May 23, 2014
    Yea I'd thought of a personal loan but I figured that after they learned what it was for then they would say, that's a vehicle loan. I've never applied for a personal loan so I don't even know if they would ask, but like I said wouldn't hurt to ask. Thank you for that tid-bit of info something like that freight would be fine for me, I like working on them and I don't expect a shinny show truck for what I'm looking for just as long as it ain't ragged out you know.

5. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    My question; what companies will take on older trucks, say 1999 and later? New regs go into effect Dec 17th and many companies want ELD's so won't take older trucks. Now there is the option of O/O but I am referring to Lease. I don't know if there is a thread already started about this subject, maybe there should be since it is becoming relevant. I for one have bought an old truck and my goal is to leas onto a company up here in MI and run just MI but, that is my goal. We shall see what really happens.

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  6. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama
    Many of the smaller companies are still letting older trucks lease on.

SheepDog and OLDSKOOLERnWV Thank this.
  7. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    IMG_1115.PNG Probably been with Mercer since day 1 with this 352 Peterbilt.
    I know Tyron has guys with A model KW's pulling for them, might be a place to inquire.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  8. Brittneyfaie

Brittneyfaie Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Hello,

I have a 2001 Ford XL 650 with 235,xxx mileage. Does your company buy these?
    If so would you be interested and how would I go about the process?

Thank you

Brittney
    734-693-0226
    Sent from my iPhone

9. Coolbreezin

Coolbreezin Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2016
    Florida
    '91 379 here.Im being grandfathered in with my company. Their 2003 or newer rule goes into effect Jan 1. We use Big Road app as our ELD. I have a 3046b engine so I do not have any electronics to connect the tablet to. You may find it difficult to get hired on with an older truck.
    I paid $9500 for my truck a year ago.

SheepDog and OLDSKOOLERnWV Thank this.
  10. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Tryon.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  11. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    If you are already established as a business you may want to talk to your banker about opening up a line of credit.
    I carry a line of credit, haven't had to dip into it for 3, maybe 4 years, and it's a much higher line of credit than I've ever dipped into, but it's nice having it there just in case you need to put something together in a hurry.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.