Looking to get my own truck, currently no CDL

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by northmanlogging, Dec 8, 2016.

1. northmanlogging

northmanlogging Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2016
    A little background, I mostly log, with a little dirt work, driveways sight clearing etc.

I currently have a little 5yd truck that is non cdl, its old and a little underpowered, but its got the brakes I need to haul my skidder, and small dozers.

However I recently acquired a mid sized excavator, that weighs more then my non cdl truck is licensed for, let alone with truck and trailer. And finding a truck to move it on short notice is a pain, let alone getting dirt/brush hauled in or away.

So I'm looking to pick up an older T/A dump truck, get my CDL, and find a decent T/A tilt deck trailer. Not necessarily in that order... (cdl first probably a better move...)

Things I'm aware of:

This state requires a person to take a cdl class or train under a registered company.

Big trucks are expensive, tires, insurance, maintenance, fuel

Air brakes have many advantages over the hydro/vac brakes on my dump truck... things like a parking brake that actually holds the truck, or brakes that work on the trailer (electric brakes on a 10t trailer are really pushing the limits)

So I guess what I'm asking, is this a good idea? is there an advantage to 13spd vs 18 spd, are macks really as bad as I think they are (cause they is cheap), how about the ford L8000-9000 trucks, cause they is cheap too ( but I like ford so...)

My sperm donor father drove long haul for years, and my Ma drove tankers and dump trucks, so they don't scare me, much... my dumper truck is an old f600 ferd, so driving a truck that is 8' wide with a trailer and a goofy shifter isn't an issue.

Anyhow, I ramble... thanks in advance

Lepton1 and cumminskid123 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    In your situation, if you've got the work lined up, go for it. Doesn't matter if your going to get a Mack or a Ford or whatever. Find someone that could let you rent their truck for the state test. It sounds like you already know how to maneuver a trailer. When I lived in Maryland, their were quite a few small guys that would rent out a truck by the hour. They were small rag tag outfits claiming to be a truck driving school but they'd rent you that small truck (daycab,28 footer) as long as you needed. If you sucked at it and it took a while to learn, better for the "trucking school". How much off roading do you do? Maybe look into a 15 speed with deep reduction gearing. I have always liked 13 speed for transfer dumps and 18 is good for heavy haul. In your situation, an 8 or 10 speed would probably be fine.

4. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Your the only one that can if its a good idea. As for trucks? Cost dont mean diddly these days, people get what they can get. Ive drivin old ford l9's, not a horrible truck. Had a tri axle (mack i think) goofy ### box pattern shifter but a solid truck. Every dump ive personally drivin (pulling a tip trailer hauling a street sweeper) has had a 8 pack with the granny set on the low side. No troubles, but we dont have mountains here....

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What kind of excavator are you hauling?

A cat D10?

My dad for the longest time has a Case 580 and hauled it with a 10 yard Ford F600 which he bought at the liquidation auction of his former employer.

6. northmanlogging

northmanlogging Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Hitache ex120, 27000# by itself.

Had a case 580b ck the ole F600 had no trouble dragging it around.

The skidder is a little heavier then the backhoe, but its taller and weighted weird, all the weight is forward of the front axle, helps for pulling logs, so it rides weird on the trailer, and its a full 8' wide on an 8' trailer, overall kind of goofy on an F600, but it works.

As for hills, we got plenty of hills out here, but nothing drastic, deep under 15spd would probably be overkill. I mostly stay in the valleys anyway, I'll let the big outfits climb the steep logging roads, I mostly work on private ground.

How about Kenworth vs Peterbilt vs International.

Fright liners, Volvos, etc don't seem to hold up to the offroad craziness around here

7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Yes, you sure do. Can't understand half of what your question was.

northmanlogging Thanks this.
  8. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Around here, Macks command higher prices when compared to other brands the same age. They do tend to hold up better in rough conditions than most other brands.

There are a few folks that are still running B model Macks around here. How many other brands can say they have 50 year old trucks still earning their keep?

9. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Look for an old Mack, if your in the north east they are a dime a dozen. A good 2v E-6 should be a pretty easy find. It's gonna be small horse, plenty of 237's with 5 speeds still running around the back roads. Back then Mack was rated at the ground not the fly. A 300 Maxidyne back then put down 300hp/1425tq. Huge power back then for a 11L unit, red, yellow and silver ones had to use the big blocks to get that much power. An old mack will break you before it ever dies. 2 million and change on the 237 when my dad sold it

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.